The Lifestyle List
Friday, May 18
Long Live Rock ‘n’ Roll
Miami Museum Month
- Explore Miami’s cultural landscape with special events and deals at leading local art museums.
- When: Throughout May
- Contact: miamiandbeaches.com/special-offers/monthly-deals/miami-museum-month
- The exhibit looks back at the Miami Pop Festival, which featured performers Frank Zappa, Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix and others.
- The exhibit opening also features a special performance by Jimi Hendrix’s brother Leon and Native American band Lee Tiger, which performed with Hendrix at the Miami Pop Festival.
- When: Exhibit on display until Sept. 30
- Where: HistoryMiami, 101 W. Flagler St., Miami
- Contact: historymiami.org
- Known for his unique blend of reggae, rap and beatboxing, the performer gives an intimate acoustic performance of his hits and unreleased material.
- When: May 18, 8 p.m.
- Where: Rose and Alfred Miniaci Performing Arts Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero Jr. Blvd., Davie
- Contact: nova.edu/miniaci/events
Nash Bash Salute to Leadership Gala
- The 19th annual gala invites more than 300 community leaders to dress in country glam and enjoy live and silent auctions, Nashville cuisine and line dancing. The Broward Partnership will also award advocates. Proceeds will assist Broward Partnership in operating the 230-bed Central Homeless Assistance Center on the Huizenga Campus, which serves more than 1,400 men, women and children experiencing homelessness each year.
- When: 6:30 p.m.
- Where: Signature Grand, 6900 State Road 84, Davie
- Contact: 954.832.7037; firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, May 19
Food, music, brews and more
Smoke on the Water BBQ Feast and Competition
- The free event features live music, beer and family fun as local pitmasters compete for the championship.
- When: noon-6 p.m.
- Where: Esplanade Park
- Contact: goriverwalk.com
- On the heels of headlining the Super Bowl halftime show, the pop star (pictured above) tours the country to promote “Man of the Woods,” his first album since 2013.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: BB&T Center
- Contact: thebbtcenter.com
Eye of the Storm
- Meet local meteorologists and explore the museum’s storm center, and learn about hurricane science and preparedness.
- When: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Where: Museum of Discovery and Science, 401 SW Second St., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: mods.org
Ocean Brews & Blues
- Blues music plays while you sample more than 100 beers, from the country’s best breweries.
- When: 3-8 p.m.
- Where: Deerfield Beach parking lot, 149 SE 21st Ave.
- Contact: deerfield-beach.com
“Seven Smiles: Humor in Japanese Paintings”
- The exhibit, organized by the University of Richmond, explores seven categories of humor shown in the art of Japan’s Edo period, which lasted from 1600 to 1868.
- When: May 19-Aug. 26
- Where: Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens, 4000 Morikami Park Road, Delray Beach
- Contact: morikami.org
Dania Beach Arts & Seafood Celebration
- The free event features performances by Deep Fried Funk and Jimi Ruccolo, as well as live painting, children’s rides and activities, and, of course, plenty of seafood.
- When: May 19, 11 a.m.-8 p.m.; May 20, 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Where: Frost Park, 300 NE Second St.
- Contact: daniabeachartsandseafoodcelebration.com
- The yacht hop and dockside dessert party benefits the Children’s Diagnostic & Treatment Center.
- When: 5 p.m.
- Where: Bahia Mar Resort & Yachting Center, 801 Seabreeze Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: waterwaysoiree.com; 954.728.1019
Stop the Bleed
- Broward Health North hosts this community training session. Dr. Igor Nichiporenko, Director of Trauma Services, will give a presentation and answer questions on how to properly apply a tourniquet, how to pack wounds, and how to apply chest seals.
- When: 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- Where: Broward Health North’s Conference Center, 201 E. Sample Road, Deerfield Beach
- Contact: BrowardHealth.org
Haiti: The Strength of a Nation – A Reminder of its Contributions to the World
- The event celebrates the island nation’s cultural influence with performances by Sassy Singz, We Dem Zoes, Self_Made, dancer Claudel Theagene with The Roots and others.
- When: 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- Where: Ali Cultural Arts, 353 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd, Pompano Beach,
- Contact: 954.786.7876
Sunday, May 20
Show Mom you love her at these South Florida locations
Imagine: The Life and Song of John Lennon
- The legendary songwriter’s life is recounted in narration and live music.
- When: 2 p.m.
- Where: Sunrise Civic Center Theatre and Gallery, 10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard, Sunrise
- Contact: sunrisefl.gov
Tommy Dorsey Orchestra
- Step back to the big band era with the sounds of one of its most popular musical leaders.
- When: 2-4 p.m.
- Where: Crest Theatre
- Contact: oldschoolsquare.org
Bonus: Tuesday, May 22
What We Play Is Life
- The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Eagle Regiment presents a special night of jazz as they perform with Wycliffe Gordon, Paquito D’Rivera and Herbie Hancock. The event supports the Alex Schachter Scholarship Foundation and the Coral Springs Middle School and MSD band programs.
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Where: Coral Springs Center for the Art
- Contact: thecentercs.com