The Lifestyle List
If you're still counting down the days until your vacation, Lifestyle's got plenty of suggestions to keep you busy. Check out our picks for South Florida weekend events for July 13-15.
Get your geek on
- Get your geek on with a variety of events and appearances by celebrities, animators and popular personalities from favorite shows and movies, including William Shatner, Tara Reid, Mike Colter and Lou Ferrigno.
- When: July 12-15
- Where: Broward County Convention Center, 1950 Eisenhower Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: floridasupercon.com
Friday, July 13
Good vibes all around
Summer Social Celebration
- Riverwalk celebrates its 30th anniversary.
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Where: The Old River House, 301 SW Third Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: goriverwalk.com
- An exhibition featuring ceramic works from the Socially Engaged Craft Collective such as “Upstream” by Anna Metcalfe, which encourages viewers to share stories about water, which will then be incorporated into tea cups. This expanding network of artists from around the country creates a wide range of art projects that are rooted in the rich history of ceramic objects. While many of the pieces are utilitarian in nature, the artwork comes to life through its messages, tackling diverse subjects such as gender roles, the environment and migrant worker issues.
- When: Through July 29
- Where: Bailey Contemporary Arts, 41 NE First Street, Pompano Beach
- Contact: 954-284-0141; baileyarts.org
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with Young Trees, an indie rock/pop music project created by singer/songwriter Shauna Sweeney.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Twilight Concert Series at Gulfstream Park
- Starting today, Gulfstream Park features live Thoroughbred horse racing followed by a free concert with a variety of acts performing throughout the summer. This Friday, enjoy country band Shane Duncan.
- For a drink with your music, The Sport of Kings Theatre offers happy hour from 7-8 p.m.
- When: Race starts at 2:15 p.m.; Concert is 7-11 p.m.; Fridays through Aug. 31
- Where: 901 S. Federal Hwy., Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
- Info: gulfstreampark.com/twilightconcertseries
Saturday, July 14
If you need to be entertained, Saturday’s your day
- The Emmy-nominated “SNL” writer takes the laughs from the “Weekend Update” desk to the road on his tour.
- When: 8 p.m.
Where: Seminole Casino Coconut Creek, 5550 NW 40th St., Coconut Creek
Rock the Dock
- Shooters Waterfront starts off its annual outdoor concert series featuring local bands and food and drink specials. This week, enjoy The Livesays from 3 to 6 p.m. and Big Rock Band from 7 to 10 p.m.
- When: Next concerts: Aug. 18 and Sept. 29
- Where: Shooters Waterfront, 3003 NE 32nd Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: shooterswaterfront.com; 954.566.2855
- Cry along to the British Oscar winner’s emotional tunes as he tours in support of his album, “The Thrill of It All,” which features the hit single, “Too Good at Goodbyes.”
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: AmericanAirlines Arena, 601 Biscayne Blvd., Miami
- Contact: aaarena.com
Overtown Music and Arts Festival
- Attracting some of the world’s top contemporary performers and artists, OMAF has entertained a growing and enthusiastic audience that reached near 10,000 nation-wide festival goers in the past year. The event features a youth zone, interactive art expo, art expo zone and more.
- This year, the main stage features performances by Estelle, Jon B, Ginuwine, Michael Sterling and more.
- When: 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Where: Overtown Business and Entertainment District, NW Second and Third Avenues between NW Eighth 10th Streets
- Contact: overtownmusicandartsfestival.com
Galleria Lofts Open House
- Join Galleria Lofts, a collection of 48 contemporary, luxury townhomes offering sophisticated urban living in East Fort Lauderdale, at its Summer Sips & Sounds Open House. Guests will be able to enjoy rosé wine and light bites while listening to beats by DJ Excel. Guests will also be able to tour Galleria Lofts’ model unit, dog park, pool deck and brand new East Building.
- When: July 12; July 13 or July 14; RSVP by today
- When: 1005 N. Federal Highway
- Contact: 954.903.0254
Celebrate National Mac and Cheese Day
- I ♥ Mac & Cheese celebrates with half-price on all mac and cheese bowls. Try the new Pepperoni Pizza Mac (pictured right), a blend of pasta and its proprietary cheese blend with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, marinara, pesto and Hormel pepperoni
- Where: Locations in Boca Raton, Coral Springs, Davie, Fort Lauderdale, Jupiter, Parkland, Pembroke Pines
- Contact: iheartmacandcheese.com
Saturday, July 14-Sunday, July 15
Make Saturday fun last through Sunday
International Mango and Tropical Fruit Festival
- Savor the taste of summer at this garden event featuring fruit tree sales, botanic classes and advice, cooking demonstrations, mango tastings, beer tastings, live music and crafts. A highlight is the 20th annual Mango Brunch.
- Where: Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables
- Contact: fairchildgarden.org
Filmed in Broward
- The Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival presents this short festival with features, shorts, documentaries and more from local filmmakers.
- Where: Savor Cinema, 503 SE Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: fliff.com
“Beauty and the Beast”
- Inside Out Theatre presents the Tony-winning “tale as old as time,” telling the classic story of love and true beauty.
- When: July 14-15
- Where: Sunrise Civic Center Theatre, 10610 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Sunrise
- Contact: sunrisefl.gov
- Donny Ray Evins, two-time Las Vegas Variety Entertainer of the Year, returns to The Wick to perform R&B and soul hits by Ray Charles, James Brown, Barry White, B.B. King and others.
- When: July 14, 8 p.m.; July 15, 2 p.m.
- Where: The Wick Theatre, 7901 North Federal Highway, Boca Raton
- Tickets: $75-$85
- Contact: thewick.org; 561-995-2333
Sunday, July 15
It’s not just another Sunday—it’s National Ice Cream Day
Sunday Brunch at Beach House Pompano
- Beach House Pompano introduces a Sunday brunch menu this weekend! Try Crab Cake Benedict, Steak Benedict, Brioche French Toast (pictured right; granola crusted topped with bananas and fresh berries served with bacon), country fried boneless chicken and Beach House Hash (roasted pork, diced peppers, onions, and potatoes topped with two eggs sunny side).
- When: 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Where: Beach House Pompano
- Contact: beachhousepompano.com
Free Arts! Family Day
- Bring the family for free admission to the gallery and interactive arts activities.
- When: noon-4 p.m.
- Where: Art and Culture Center/Hollywood, 1650 Harrison St., Hollywood
- Contact: artandculturecenter.org/pnc-free-arts-family-day
National Ice Cream Day: Celebrate in Miami Beach
- Tapas Y Tintos serves crispy golden churros filled with homemade Vanilla Bean ice cream and served with a side of rich hot chocolate.
- Gelato-Go serves healthy Italian gelato, made with fresh ingredients, such as pistachios from Bronte, Sicily, and hazelnuts from Langhe, Piedmont.
- Happy Place Doughnuts (pictured) serves ice cream, desserts and milkshakes, including the Rainbow Charm a combination of Vanilla Ice Cream, Lucky Charm Cereal, Raspberry sauce
- Where: Espanola Way, Miami Beach
- Contact: visitespanolaway.com
National Ice Cream Day at The Diplomat’s Candy & Cones
- Order a treat poolside by Diplomat’s infinity pool. Try the Sundae Sand Bucket (pictured above) where guests can choose a variety of scoops and toppings with flavors like cotton candy, cookies & cream, mint chocolate chip and more. Top it off with goodies from the assorted candy wall like sprinkles, caramel popcorn, marshmallows or gummy worms.
- Where: The Diplomat, 3555 S Ocean Drive, Hollywood
- Contact: diplomatresort.com
Miami Marlins: Play Catch Day
- Fulfill your sports fantasies and play on the Marlins field. Proceeds from the event will go towards the Marlins Foundation.
- When: 10:30 a.m.; registration starts at 9:45 a.m.
- Where: Marlins Park, 501 Marlins Way
- Tickets: Special packages for two are available for $150 and $50 for each additional guest.
- Packages include a pregame 30-minute catching session in the outfield, two tickets in Legends Level sections 205-206, two all-you-can-eat wristbands, fast pass for the postgame kid’s diamond dash, a commemorative photo at Billy’s Boathouse, and one game-used baseball
- Contact: 305.480.1300
Looking ahead to Monday: Xtreme Action Park
- The activity wonderland is celebrating its three-year anniversary by offering three activities for $30 deal.
- When: July 16-18
- Where: 5300 Powerline Road, Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: xtremeactionpark.com/three-year-anniversary-event
Bonus: Miami Spa Month
Each week this month, Lifestyle features a spa with specials for Miami Spa Month
1 Hotel South Beach
- A few of the deals include complimentary valet parking, access to the hotel’s private beach, and complimentary spa lockers.
- Relax with the following:
- 50-minute Pregnancy Massage for $109 rather than $165
- 50-minute Himalayan Salt Stone Massage for $139 rather than $175
- 50-minute 24 Karat Gold Facial for $139 rather than $180
- Where: 2341 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Info: For the complete menu, visit miamiandbeaches.com/special-offers/monthly-deals/miami-spa-month/miami-spas-menu?Program=Spa&Id=119849