The Lifestyle List
Can you believe we're already more than halfway through August? Neither can we. At least there are plenty of events to keep us going for the weekend of Aug. 17-19.
Throughout the Month
Miami Spice and more fun through the month of August
- New City Players perform the play by Nick Paynes—once performed on Broadway by Jack Gyllenhaal and Ruth Wilson—about a romantic encounter that takes different routes in a series of parallel scenes that explore choice and destiny and even physics.
- When: Through Aug. 26
- Where: The Vanguard, 1501 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: newcityplayers.org
- The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau presents the 17th Miami Spice, showcasing Greater Miami’s diverse culinary scene. Fine dining restaurants will offer three-course prix-fixe Miami Spice menus at reduced prices ($23 per person for lunch and brunch / $39 per person for dinner). Prices include an appetizer, entrée and dessert; tax, tip, libations and service charges are additional.
- This weekend, try Tamara’s Bistro at The National Hotel. Brunch is open 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Sundays and priced at $23 per person. Lunch is noon to 5 p.m. and dinner is 5-10 p.m.
- Lunch starters include Pomegranate Ceviche Martini with marinated Mahi, lime, cherry peppers and cilantro. Entrée options include Jerked Chicken Satays accompanied by coconut rice, mango pico and a selection of mango sweet and sour, ginger teriyaki and jerked BBQ sauces; an Ahi Tuna Quinoa Salad with avocado, heirloom tomatoes and lime vinaigrette; and the 1939 Burger, featuring a certified angus beef patty, melted cheese, Boston lettuce, heirloom tomato and red onion, with fries and more. To end, guests can also choose from the Mango Sorbet (pictured above) with orange blossom water and berries, Banana Crème Brulee and Candied Pecan Cheesecake with Chantilly cream, caramel sauce and strawberries.
- Plus, those dining Wednesday through Monday evenings will be treated to live entertainment featuring talented vocalists who mesmerize audiences with their rich renditions of both modern and classic hits.
- Information: nationalhotel.com/tamara/
- When: Through Sept. 30
- Info: iLoveMiamiSpice.com
“White Guy on the Bus”
- The play by Bruce Graham takes on racial prejudice with the story of a white businessman and a black single mother who ride the same bus.
- When: Aug. 11-Sept. 9
- Where: GableStage at The Biltmore, 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables
- Info: gablestage.org
FAU MFA Candidate Exhibition
- View work from the next generation of artists completing master’s degrees at Florida Atlantic University, including Jason LeVan, Michael Dillow, Symantha Jones, Katie Brede, Margaret Crowley, Robert Navarrette, Melanie Urbie, Cangshu Gran and Karen-Janine Cohen.
- When: Through Aug. 31
- Where: Arts Garage, 94 NE Second Ave., Delray Beach
- Info: artsgarage.org
Boca Chamber Festival Days
- The series of fun-filled events is held at different locations in the South Palm Beach County area during the month of August. The Boca Chamber helps to facilitate these events that are created and run by a pairing of non-profit members with for-profit members to raise funds and awareness for the non-profit organizations.
- Events include wine tastings, museum visits, cocktail parties, bowling and more.
- When: Through Aug. 30
- Info: bocaratonchamber.com
Friday, August 17
Music for your Friday
Def Leppard and Journey
- Take your “Don’t Stop Believin’” singalong from the karaoke bar to the arena. Rock out to favorite songs by co-headliners Journey and Def Leppard.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: BB&T Center
- Info: thebbtcenter.com
John Michael Montgomery
- The award-winning country star won hearts, too, with ’90s hits such as “I Swear,” “I Love the Way You Love Me” and “Life’s a Dance.”
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Seminole Casino Coconut Creek, 5550 NW 40th St., Coconut Creek
- Info: casinococo.com
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with Fireside Prophets, playing reggae-rock.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Twilight Concert Series at Gulfstream Park
- Starting today, Gulfstream Park features live Thoroughbred horse racing followed by a free concert with a variety of acts performing throughout the summer. This Friday, enjoy horn band The Brass Evolution.
- For a drink with your music, The Sport of Kings Theatre offers happy hour from 7-8 p.m.
- When: Race starts at 2:15 p.m.; Concert is 7-11 p.m.; Fridays through Aug. 31
- Where: 901 S. Federal Hwy., Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
- Info: gulfstreampark.com/twilightconcertseries
Saturday, August 18
Icons on stage.
- On a quest to reclaim her identity, the country singer-turned-pop star reinvented herself with her latest album “Reputation,” sparking cultural conversations, stirring controversy, breaking records and giving fans new anthems to sing out loud during her stadium tour.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: Hard Rock Stadium, 347 Don Shula Drive, Miami Gardens
- Info: hardrockstadium.com
Chris MacDonald’s Memories of Elvis
- The popular tribute, the only one hired by Elvis Presley Enterprises to perform at Graceland’s Heartbreak Hotel, covers the eras of Presley’s fame, reminding concertgoers why he was the “King of Rock ’n’ Roll.”
- When: 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Parker Playhouse
- Info: browardcenter.org
End the Summer at Beach House
- The all day celebration begins with the final surf lessons and yoga classes of the summer then transitions into a Luau party on the beach.
- Join Hang Loose Surf School behind Beach House for the last surf lessons of the summer. Complimentary for all who attend while enjoying refreshments and popsicles for the kids. To-go boxes are available upon request.
- Join Yoga4Life Studios downstairs at Beach House to finish the yoga filled summer series. There will be $10 donation upon arrival. Smoothies and infused water will also be available. Bring a yoga mat.
- At the Luau party, guests can enjoy service in the sand and live entertainment.
- When: Surf lessons start at 9 a.m.; yoga starts at 9:30 a.m.; Luau is noon-5 p.m.
- Where: Beach House Pompano
- Info: https://tinyurl.com/y7ha73he
Sunday, August 19
Dance your Sunday away
New Brunch at Etaru
- Enjoy ETARU’s contemporary Japanese cuisine while sipping free-flowing pours of Whispering Angel Rosé on the restaurant’s outdoor terrace and spacious dining room. Its new brunch debuts today.
- Hot and cold appetizers include an assortment of Sashimi and hand rolled Maki; Sweet Potato Mash; Spinach and Grilled Greens Salad with chilli and lime; and White Miso Soup with scallions. Brunch also includes a main course with options such as Grilled Skirt Steak with wasabi chimichurri; Salmon Teriyaki with sansho salt and garlic; Spicy Tobanjan Glazed Pork Ribs; or Prawns with sweet potato and asparagus tempura with yuzu shichimi sauce.
- When: 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Where: Icon Las Olas at 500 East Las Olas Boulevard
- Price: $55 per person (excluding tax and gratuity)
- Info: 954.477-8068; etarurestaurant.us
Bonus: Miami Spa Month
Each week this month, Lifestyle features a spa with specials for Miami Spa Month
Lapis at Fontainebleau
- Available for $109 this month: Luminous Skin Facial (50 minutes): Estheticians craft a custom cleansing facial for your skin. Includes extractions and unique triple cleansing techniques with hand softening treatment and relaxing facial and décolleté massage.
- Where: Fontainebleau Miami Beach, 4441 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Contact: MiamiSpaMonth.com