Art enthusiasts, this weekend is for you. Head to Miami for Art Basel, which features artwork from around the globe.
- International street artist Kelsey Montague is unveiling her new Angel Wings Mural. Meet the artist, participate in the silent auction and enjoy bites paired with Gran Centenario’s new Art Basel-inspired cocktails, benefiting Mexican Relief charities. For every picture posted to the hashtag (#GCputWINGSon), Gran Centenario will donate $10 to charity to benefit families and victims of the earthquake in Mexico City.
- When: Friday, 6–8 p.m.
- Where: Nautilus South Beach (1825 Collins Ave., Miami Beach)
Fantich & Young: Apex Predator | Darwinian Voodoo
- The conceptual pop-up exhibition (pictured) will showcase multimedia sculpture, photographic prints and a promotional advertising campaign to present a primeval yet contemporary collection that merges the creative disciplines of fine art, design and fashion. It includes shoes, masks, two-piece ensembles, perfume and other meticulously embellished accessories. All items in this luxury retail exhibition will be sold as limited-edition art sculpture (not meant to be worn as fashion items) with prices ranging from $2,000 for the “killer shoes” (a pair of black stilettos featuring soles made of teeth) to $45,000 for “Female and Male Superhumans.”
- When: Through Saturday, noon–7 p.m.; Sunday noon–4 p.m.
- Where: 219 NW 23rd Street, Miami (Wynwood)
Vegas: Alter Your Reality
- Enjoy a 360-degree virtual reality art + tech experience with Samsung Gear VR by five internationally renowned artists presented by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.
- When: Through Saturday, Dec. 9; 1–9 p.m.
- Where: Zadok Gallery (2534 N. Miami Avenue)
- Known as the premiere anchor fair, Art Miami is a prominent modern and contemporary art fair market, g?lobally recognized as a primary destination for the most important works from the 20th and 21st centuries?.
- When: Through Saturday, 11 a.m.–8 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.–6 p.m.
- Where: One Herald Plaza (NE 14th Street and Biscayne Bay), Miami
Aqua Art Miami
- The fair will feature 52 international exhibitors showcasing fresh new works, set in the intimate exhibition rooms that open into a beautiful courtyard. It has become the premier destination for prominent collectors and art aficionados to procure works by young, emerging and mid-career artists.
- When: Through Saturday, 11 a.m.–9 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.–6 p.m.
- The 15th annual art fair is renown for vigorously pursuing goals of exploring new or underexposed art that is not typical of the “art establishment.” It is produced by a nonprofit organization and is dedicated to showcasing new art and celebrating rising talents from around the globe.
- When: Through Sunday
- Where: Ice Palace Studios (59 NW 14th St., Miami)
- Artist Michael Wein’s first solo show will be open for walk-ins. He works in two mediums: paintings and large scale installations. On canvas, he uses acrylic and resin, and for the installations, glass filled with sand displayed upon brass stands.
- When: Through Sunday, noon–9 p.m.
- Where: 532 NW 29th Street, Miami (Wynwood)
Break from Basel
For the Foodies
Opening Ceremony for Pincho Factory Fort Lauderdale
- The fast-casual restaurant, known for its award-winning burgers and kebabs, is celebrating the opening of its ninth location (the second in Broward County) with an invitation-only ribbon cutting, officiated the city’s vice mayor, Bruce G. Roberts. Afterward, from 11 a.m.–2 p.m., customers will receive a free Pincho Burger. A portion of the day’s proceeds will support the Broward Health Foundation in its mission to improve the health of the community.
- When: Saturday, Dec. 9, 11 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Where: 6234 N. Federal Highway, Fort Lauderdale
Dragalicious Gospel Brunch
- Lips, the ultimate in drag dining, will host a not-your-ordinary Holiday Toy Drive to benefit Children’s Diagnostic & Treatment Center during brunch. Guests are encouraged to bring an unwrapped children’s toy to receive a free Lips’ world famous frozen cosmo, which is valid for a future visit.
- When: Sunday, Dec. 10, 11 a.m.–1 p.m
- Where: 1421 E. Oakland Park Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
I ? MAC & CHEESE
- Macaroni and cheese, the beloved comfort dish too often viewed as a side, has a starring role at a new chain of restaurants. I Heart Mac and Cheese puts diners in control with build-your-own macaroni and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. Choose from a variety of pastas or bread (including gluten-free) before moving on to seven types of cheese, vegetables and protein (such as meatballs, bacon and crispy chicken). The possibilities are endless. Expanding from its flagship in Fort Lauderdale, it opened last month in Parkland Commons and is slated to move into Pembroke Pines and Coral Springs by year-end or early 2018.
Art | Wine | Jazz at Atton Brickell Miami
- Each week, the hotel will feature a new artist from Artium Miami, an art gallery in Wynwood, will be featured throughout the hotel. Guests are welcomed to explore the works of art while sipping Chilean and South American wines and listening to live jazz music.
- When: Thursdays, 6–8 p.m.
- Where: 1500 SW 1st Ave., Miami