The Lifestyle List
Lifestyle’s Pick: Thursday, April 12
Explore Miami’s Streets
Avenues of Expression Happy Hour and Tour
- Street food, drinks and a live DJ liven the night before a guided tour of the museum’s latest exhibit, “Avenues of Expression: Street Traditions in Miami,” which explores the diversity found on Miami’s streets.
- When: 6-8 p.m.
- Where: HistoryMiami Museum, 101 W. Flagler St., Miami
- Contact: historymiami.org
Friday, April 13
Explore art, science and music
- The Greater Delray Beach Chamber of Commerce hosts its 56th arts and crafts festival. Covering 12 blocks, the fair includes fine art and crafts from artists from around the world.
- When: April 13-15
- Where: Downtown Delray Beach from the Intracoastal to NW Second Avenue
- Contact: delrayaffair.com
- The Frost Museum of Science hosts its Overnight Adventure for families and youth groups. The event, designed for children ages 6-17, invites children to explore exhibits and conduct experiments.
- When: Check-in is between 6-7 p.m. April 13; departure is by 8 a.m. April 14.
- Where: 1101 Biscayne Blvd., Miami
- Tickets: $80
- Info: frostscience.org/overnights
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The weekly concert series at the beach continues with a performance by Oriente, performing Afro-Cuban rhythms mixed with jazz and blues
- Wehn: 6-9 p.m.
- Where: Fort Lauderdale Beach Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Saturday, April 14
Find your zen and enjoy events throughout the weekend
The Yoga Expo
- More than 40 of the area’s top yoga instructors lead a variety of classes and meditation sessions at the fourth annual expo. Expect live music, food samples, a marketplace and aerial yoga shows.
- When: 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m.
- Where: Fort Lauderdale Convention Center, 1950 Eisenhower Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: theyogaexpo.org
- The Miami-based Grammy-nominated chorale presents “Arvo Part: Passio,” with 10 classical pieces for the Easter season. A preconcert conversation is held an hour before the concert.
- When: 7:30 p.m.
- Where: All Saints Episcopal, 333 Tarpon Drive, Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: seraphicfire.org
New Moon Party
- The new Beach House Pompano celebrates the new moon with LED musical performances by Light Up the Night and more (pictured).
- Where: Beach House Pompano, 270 N. Pompano Beach Blvd., Pompano Beach
- Contact: beachhousepompano.com
United Way of Broward All-white-attire Event
- United Way of Broward County hosts an all-white-attire party featuring light bites, an open bar, and entertainment by DJ Envy and Angela Yee to benefit the organization’s mission to fight for the health, education and financial stability of every person in the community.
- When: 6-10 p.m.
- Where: Grateful Palate, 3003 NE 32nd Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: UnitedWayBroward.org
- With music by Sara Bareilles, the Broadway export, based on the film of the same name, tells the story of Jenna, a pie maker who enters a baking contest to get a fresh start on life.
- When: Through April 22
- Where: Broward Center, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: browardcenter.org
Redland Blues & Barbecue Festival
- Get happy with the blues at this barbecue festival. Children enjoy pony rides and adults enjoy a classic car and motorcycle show and live music.
- When: April 14-15
- Where: Fruit & Spice Park, 24801 SW 187th Ave., Homestead
- Contact: redlandfruitandspice.com
Spring Garden Festival and Plant Sale
- Learn summer gardening tips from experts and enjoy food from local chefs.
- When: April 14-15
- Where: Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables
- Tickets: $25 adults; $18 seniors; $12 children
- Info: fairchildgarden.org
National Water Dance
- Miami’s National Water Dance Projects presents its third annual National Water Dance held in conjuction with 1,500 participants from classes, public schools, universities and professional companies. The event takes place simultaneously across 40 other states, Puerto Rico, Canada and Mexico.
- Each performance takes place near a body of water as dancers unite to take responsibility for protecting our water. The performances will be livestreamed online. Seventy Miami dancers will participate, including dancers from Conchita Espinosa Academy, South Miami Community Middle School, Dance Now Miami, IFE-ILE Afro-Cuban Dance Company and dancers with NWD Projects. The event begins with a blessing of the water by Houston Cypress of the Miccosukee Tribe of Indians and ends with a group ritual led by IFE-ILE Afro-Cuban Dance Company. A reception follows the performance at the Biscayne Nature Center courtyard.
- When: April 14, 4 p.m.
- Where: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Biscayne Nature Center, 747 Crandon Blvd., Key Biscayne
- Tickets: Free
- Info: nationalwaterdance.org
Sunday, April 15
The best croissant in South Florida and more
Lynn Bassoon Studio Recital
- The Lynn Bassoon Studio performs bassoon chamber music. Works to be performed include Mozart, Vivaldi and even Ozzy Osborne.
- When: 4 p.m.
- Where: Count and Countess de Hoernle International Center / Amarnick-Goldstein Concert Hall
- Tickets: Free
- Contact: lynn.edu/events
Croissant Battle Miami
- Following the success of a its New York croissant competition, French Morning, the first digital news resource for French speakers in the United States, gathers South Florida’s top bakers and over 300 foodies at this delicious event. South Florida’s top bakers and pastry makers will gather to present their best croissants in front of a panel of judges and a special French celebrity guest. A winner will be chosen for the best croissant in this blind-tasting contest.
- General admission price includes the grand tasting of croissants as well as assorted breads and pastries from local bakeshops, charcuterie, jams and a cheese buffet. One complimentary glass of wine and water per person is also included.
- When: 12-3 p.m.
- Where: 1677 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Tickets: $25; VIP $45
- Info: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/best-croissant-miami-2018-the-finale-tickets-43245426234
Fifth Annual Cheers to B!
- All event proceeds benefit B THE DIFFERENCE, a nonprofit that supports patients and their families battling Neurofibromatosis through the B Happy program.
- The evening will kick-off with a cocktail reception where guests have the opportunity to explore the ins and outs of the museum, bid in a silent auction, enjoy bites and strike a pose in an interactive photo experience. The offerings will continue as the evening progresses to a seated buffet dinner, courtesy of Catering the Event with beautiful décor sponsored by The Queens Flowers. The event will culminate with a live auction featuring Auctioneer Extraordinaire, Jim Berz and highlights from past recipients and hosts of B Happy Trips. Surprises are in-store throughout the evening.
- When: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Where: Gallery of Amazing Things. 481 S. Federal Highway, Dania Beach
- Tickets: $175 per person; reserve a table of ten with a bottle of champagne for $1,750. Adults ages 21-30 can select a special discounted ticket price of $75
- Info: bthedifference.org/cheerstob2018/
April Pool’s Family Water Safety Day
- The Pediatric Drowning Prevention Task Force (PDPTF), a collaborative effort between Broward Health Coral Springs, the City of Coral Springs and the Florida Health Department hosts fun-filled and educational family event will include free trial swim lessons, music, prizes, mermaid meet and greet, CPR practice, free sports pack bags, vouchers for future free swim lessons, free entrance to waterpark, and free food and ice cream (while supplies last).
- When: 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Where: Cypress Pool Water Park, 1300 Coral Springs Drive, Coral Springs
- Tickets: Free
- Info: www.coralsprings.org/aprilpools
Bonus: Monday, April 16
From Broadway With Love
- Broadway stars perform a benefit concert for Parkland, accompanied by the South Florida Symphony. Performers include Matthew Morrison, Rachel Bloom, Wayne Brady and others.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: BB&T Center, 2555 NW 136th Ave., Sunrise
- Tickets: $50
- Info: thebbtcenter.com