Through the Weekend
A local favorite show and art from around the county
Short Cuts 8
- The Playgroup presents its eighth season of shorts that display the talent of South Florida’s playwrights.
- When: May 4-6 & 11-13
- Where: Willow Theatre at Sugar Sand Park, 300 S. Military Trail, Boca Raton
- Contact: willowtheatre.org
Ford Lauderdale Air Show
- One of Fort Lauderdale’s most popular events returns with a new name but the same thrilling demonstrations of military jets, parachute teams, formation flight teams.
- The Air Show is also teaming up with JetBlue to benefit Parkland through United Way’s Broward County Dispersed Impacted Families and Children, and First Responders for Counseling and Care. Click here for more information.
- When: May 5-6
- Where: State Road A1A, north of the Sunrise Boulevard intersection
- Contact: fortlauderdaleairshow.com
Little Haiti Book Festival
- Miami Book Fair partners with Sosyete Koukouy of Miami Inc. to present the book festival, which features vibrant cultural exposure to writers, booksellers, performers, and more. Panels include Feeding the Body, Nourishing the Soul: Haiti’s Medicinal Herbs and Cuisine and Haiti: Zombification and Identity; literary and poetry workshops, including tips for first time authors, plus a full day of activities for children including drumming and dancing, storytelling and arts & drafts.
- When: May 5-6
- Where: Little Haiti Cultural Complex, 5919 NE Second Ave., Miami
- Contact: miambookfair.com; 305.237.3258
Honor Portraits Inc.
- The pop-up exhibit features portraits from the nonprofit organization of local photographers who offer free portraits to veterans.
- When: May 5-27
- Where: Cornell Art Museum at Old School Square, 51 N. Swinton Ave., Delray Beach
- Contact: cornellartmuseum.org
Saturday, May 5
Cinco de Mayo in South Florida—Specials and More
Blue Moon Cafe
- Giveaways throughout the day including Patron, Corona, DosXXX and Lunazul promo giveaways and T-shirts. A Mariachi band plays from 6-9 p.m.
- Where: 6894 SW 18th St., Boca Raton
- Contact: bluemoonmexicancafe.com; 561.571.7000
Brimstone Woodfire Grill
- Brunch starts at 11:30 a.m. with specials such as Huevos Rancheros, Southwest Breakfast Burger and Chicken Chilaquiles. During the Derby Race, enjoy a 50/50 raffle with proceeds donated to the winner’s charity of choice. A variety of drinks are offered including the sangria (pictured above).
- Where: Brimstone Woodfire Grill, Pembroke Pines
- Contact: brimstonewoodfiregrill.com
- Frozen margarita specials and specialty margaritas such as key lime and blood orange (pictured right) as well as Corona specials.
- Where: 5050 Town Center Circle, Boca Raton; 1411 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: tap42.com
- Live DJ and Mariachi band as well as giveaways and specials such as $5 Corralejo Blanco Tequila Shots, $5 Corona bottle and $7 coffee tequila shots
- Where: 817 E. Las Olas Blvd. Fort Lauderdale
- Info: 954.530.1188
- Looking for a guilt-free drink? Try the Skinny Margaritas ($11). Choose original or strawberry jalapeno. Made with Milagro Tequila, this cocktail can be made organic by substituting the house tequila with Life Organic Tequila ($12).
- Where: Farmer’s Table, 1901 North Military Trail, Boca Raton
- Contact: farmerstableboca.com
Mayo Bar Crawl in Brickell
- The third annual crawl goes through Brickell’s bars with drink specials such as American Social Brickell’s free drink for each crawler.
- Contact: More info and tickets here.
Rocco’s Tacos & Tequila Bar
- Rocco Mangel hosts a party at each Rocco’s Tacos location with drink specials, DJs, live entertainment, prizes and free tequila pourings.
- Where: 1313 E Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale; 5250 Town Center Circle, Boca Raton
- Contact: roccostacos.com
- Enjoy the fiesta, with margaritas, lawn games and a performance by Mexican electronic music project Sweet Electra. Complimentary bites including grilled carnitas, El Vez signature guacamole, chips and salsa and grilled corn will be served. Guests who follow @ElVez_FTL on Instagram and post a photo showing their Cinco de Mayo spirit will have the chance to win dinner for six.
- Where: 401 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: wfortlauderdalehotel.com/El-Vez
Española Way Celebration
- Enjoy traditional Mexican food, a live mariachi band, a DJ, margarita shots, and more throughout the day. Española Way will be filled with music, dancing, street performers and more.
- Contact: visitespanolaway.com
- Sip on the Rita Okinawa ($14)—made with yuzu kosho-infused Maestro Dobel Tequila, lime, agave and yellow chartrusse—and enjoy beach views and Robata-grilled seafood, sushi and more.
- Where: 111 South Surf Road, Hallandale Beach
- Contact: 954.271.3222; www.etarurestaurant.us
L Bar, Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
- Drinks include Avocado Toast ($15) cocktail featuring Don Julio Blanco tequila, Cointreau, fresh lemon and lime, sage, avocado and agave, or enjoy any of the lounge’s Ode to Agave cocktails ($12) that include the Uno – Herradura Reposado tequila, mint, fresh lime, bitters, ginger beer; Dos (pictured left) – Kah Reposado tequila, Tabasco, cilantro, agave, fresh lemon; or Mexican Firing Squad – Patron Blanco tequila, grenadine, fresh lime, bitters.
- Where: One Seminole Way, Hollywood
- Contact: seminolehardrock.com
Lona Cocina y Tequileria
- Come celebrate with $5 Milagro Tequila specialty cocktails and 2 for $5 Street Tacos from 5 p.m.-2 a.m. and a mariachi band from 5-7 p.m.
- Where: Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort at 321 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: 954.245.3069; lonarestaurant.com
Also on Saturday, May 5
End the night with these arts and culture events
A Night of Literary Feasts
- Mingle with authors while drinking cocktails at this event hosted by the Broward Public Library Foundation.
- When: 5:30-10:30 p.m.
- Where: Pier Sixty-Six Hotel & Marina, 2301 SE 17th St., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: 954.357.7382
The Lovin’ Spoonful
- The band performs the hits that made it a household name in the 1960s, including “Do You Believe in Magic?” “Summer in the City” and “Daydream.”
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Stage 954 at The Casino at Dania Beach, 301 E. Dania Beach Blvd.
- Contact: casinodaniabeach.com
Tito Puente Jr.
- The son of the famous Latin jazz bandleader carries on his father’s legacy.
- When: 8-10 p.m.
- Where: Crest Theatre at Old School Square, 51 N. Swinton Ave., Delray Beach
- Contact: oldschoolsquare.org
March for Babies
- Help March of Dimes raise $1 million by preventing birth defects, premature birth and infant mortality by walking three miles.
- When: Registration opens at 7 a.m.; walk begins at 8 a.m.; Music, food, fun and family activities will continue until noon
- Where: Nova Southeastern University, 3100 Ray Ferrero, Jr. Blvd., Davie
- Contact: marchforbabies.org
Bonus: Tuesday, May 8
Did someone say free ice cream?
Free Cone Day
- Gulfstream Park invites ice cream lovers to celebrate Free Cone Day. Häagen-Dazs offers a free cone of their choice while the rest of Gulfstream Park buzzes with entertainment, face painting, sing alongs and a meet and greet with Olaf from “Frozen” at 4:30 p.m.
- When: 4-8 p.m.
- Where: Häagen-Dazs at Gulfstream Park, 901 S. Federal Highway, Hallandale Beach
- Contact: gulfstreampark.com/freeconeday