Friday, May 25
The start of a long Memorial Day weekend calls for celebration. Enjoy these events and restaurant specials for National Wine Day.
Don’t Forget: Miami Museum Month
- Explore Miami’s cultural landscape with special events and deals at leading local art museums.
- When: Throughout May
- Contact: miamiandbeaches.com/special-offers/monthly-deals/miami-museum-month
- The Venezuelan pop star is on his first U.S. tour, “La Criatura Tour.”
- When: May 25, 7 p.m.
- Where: The Fillmore Miami Beach, 1700 Washington Ave., Miami Beach
- Contact: fillmoremb.com
“Monarchs: Brown and Native Contemporary Artists in the Path of the Butterfly”
- In this exhibit, 37 artists who are native to the Americas explore the migration of the Monarch butterfly as a metaphor through which to explore historical narratives of their heritage.
- When: Through Aug. 5; artist reception June 14, 7-9 p.m.
- Where: Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami, 770 NE 125th St., North Miami
- Info: mocanomi.org
- The restaurant offers 50 percent off selected bottles of wine and Champagne. Pair with truffle ricotta mezzaluna with delicate oyster mushrooms and fresh peas, red snapper with artichoke barigoule, fava beans and buttery trumpets and other.
- Where: The Dutch, W South Beach Hotel & Residences, 2201 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Info: For reservations, 305.938.3111; thedutchmiami.com
Happy Hour at Coastal
- Happy from 4-6 p.m. includes selection of reds, whites, Champagne or Prosecco for $4.
- Where: 601 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: 954.567.8070; eatcoastal.com
Brio Tuscan Grille
- Half priced bottles up to $75 through Tuesday, May 29
- Where: Locations in Boca Raton, Miami, Hallandale Beach, Pembroke Pines and Plantation
- Info: brioitalian.com
Happy Hour at La Moderna
- Daily happy hour includes complimentary mini Margherita pizzas and whites or reds for $6.
- Where: 1874 Bay Road, Miami Beach
- Info: lamoderna-miami.com
Saturday, May 26
Laughs followed by an All-American beach party
- The comedian stops at South Florida for his “The Wall World” tour.
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Hard Rock Event Center
- Contact: seminolehardrockhollywood.com
Great American Beach Party
- Celebrate Memorial Day with a sandcastle contest, art show, movie on the beach, kids zone, classic car show and a military tribute.
- When: 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas Boulevard and A1A
- Contact: myfortlauderdalebeach.com
“The Power of Poison: From the Depths of The Sea to Your Own Backyard”
- The exhibit explores how poison works in nature, myth and health. It features venomous species from around the world.
- When: May 26-Sept. 3
- Where: Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science, 1101 Biscayne Blvd., Miami
- Contact: frostscience.org
Sunday, May 27
Forget your tomorrow-is-Monday woes with these family events
- More than 500 dancers and groups from around the world perform folk dances, to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of Israel as a nation.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: Broward Center
- Contact: browardcenter.org
Class Car Show
- A day of fun for families with class and modern cars.
- When: 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Where: Weston Town Center
- Contact: 1weston.com
Slap and Tickle
- Rhythm and Vine welcomes Santiago Caballero, No Regular Play, Pirate Stereo and Bondax while serving summer-themed cocktails. Admission is free.
- When: 2 p.m.
- Where: Rhythm and Vine
- Info: Slapnticklemiami.com or rhythm-vine.com
Bonus: South Florida Memorial Day Weekend Events + post-Memorial Day Rejuvenation
Memorial Day Ceremony and Parade
- The city honors veterans with a parade starting at the fire station at 6905 Orange Drive and heading east to the rodeo grounds, followed by a ceremony.
- When: May 28, 10 a.m.
- Where: Bergeron Rodeo Grounds, 4271 Davie Road, Davie
- Contact: davie-fl.gov
- Enjoy a Memorial Day weekend brunch with white chocolate strawberry pancakes and green eggs and ham Benedict. Plus, bottomless mimosas, bloody marys and Funky Buddha Floridian.
- Where: 1411 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale; 5050 Town Circle Center, Boca Raton
- Info: tap42.com
Memorial Day BBQ at Perez Art Museum Miami
- Enjoy a view of the Biscayne Bay with your art. The SunGhosts perform while you enjoy free popcorn with museum admission, art making with teaching artists and an appearance by Coast Guard Air Station Miami. Enjoy exhibits Meiro Koizumi: Battlelands, The World’s Game: Fútbol and Contemporary Art and william cordova now’s the time: narratives of southern alchemy. Museum is free for active duty military personnel, veterans, and active duty military personnel and veterans’ family members.
- When: 1-4 p.m.
- Where: 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami
- Info: pamm.org
Memorial Day Cookout (Pictured Above)
- ETARU gives you an oceanfront view and Robatayaki cuisine. The event features an outdoor grill, pop-up shop by Heed Spa, music by DJ Soul P and, of course, ETARU favorites such as the ETARU Burger with tomato, onion and shiitake ketchup served with fries and cocktails such as the Bonsai Storm with plantation dark rum, pickled ginger, lime ginger beer and angostura bitters.
- When: noon-5 p.m.
- Where: ETARU, 111 South Surf Road, Hallandale Beach
- Info: 954.271.3222; etarurestaurant.us
Glass & Vine Brunch
- The restaurant extends its weekend brunch to Memorial Day and serves Floridian inspired cuisine crafted by award-winning, star chef Giorgio Rapicavoli. Try delicacies such as Avocado Toast ($10) garnished with toasted sesame, lime and dried Fresno chile; Crab Cake Benedict ($19) complete with whipped hollandaise and Old Bay potatoes; Carbonara Fries ($12) – black truffle crema, bacon, Grana Padano; Caprese ($15) – Florida tomato, pea pesto, local stracciatella and cured meat; and Local Fish Tiradito ($15) – rocoto leche de tigre, sweet potato and cilantro.
- Where: 2820 McFarlane Road, Coconut Grove
- Info: 305.200.5268; glassandvine.com
- Lounge poolside at Miami Beach’s longest infinity-edge pool at 205 feet long. While there, enjoy 2 for 1 drinks and specials on tapas.
- Where: National Hotel, 1677 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Info: 305.532.2311; NationalHotel.com
- On Memorial day weekend, Quarter offers Jack Daniel’s chicken wings and select cocktails for $19.99. Enjoy cocktails such as Orange Crush with Smirnoff Orange Vodka, orange juice, Triple Sec and Sprite served over crushed ice; Whiskey Smash with Jack Daniel’s, muddled lemon and mint served over crushed ice; and the Avion Shaker Margarita with Avion Silver Tequila, Citronge, fresh lime and agave with a choice of traditional, mango or blueberry.
- Where: All Quarterdeck locations including 1015 SE 16 St., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: quarterdeckrestaurants.com
Full Moon Party
- 1 Hotel South Beach and Broken Shaker host two events in celebration of the full moon. Start out at Broken Shaker with pop-up shops, night swimming and spiritual cleansing by holistic healing agency Intuitive Gangster. Then, at 9 p.m., head to The Rooftop at 1 Hotel South Beach where you’ll redeem a full moon cocktail ticket and enjoy moon gazing and more.
- When: May 29, 7-9 p.m.
- Where: Broken Shaker at Freehand Miami 2727 Indian Creek Drive, Miami Beach; and 1 Hotel South Beach at 2341 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Info: 1hotels.com/southbeach/discover; 305. 604.1000