The Lifestyle List
Politics and laughs? It’s possible.
The Capitol Steps
- Former congressional staffers turn their political experience into laugh-out-loud satire that pokes fun at both sides of the political spectrum.
- When: Through 29
- Where: Broward Center
- Contact: browardcenter.org
Plus: Give back for back to school
- The Hopkins Team (Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate team) is holding a Back-to-School Drive for school supplies now through Aug. 5. The Team will distribute all collected school supplies to students at Broward County Public Schools.
- Donation Location: Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate, 600 N. Pine Island Rd., #150, Plantation,
- When: Mondays–Fridays, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
- What to give: Backpacks, lunch bags, markers, highlighters, pencil boxes or pouches, protractors and rulers, scissors, colored pencils, crayons, notebooks and loose-leaf paper, pens, pencils, pencil sharpeners, flash drives, binders and dividers, folders, glue sticks, wide ruled one-subject notebooks, composition notebooks, ruled index cards, calculators (TI-109,TI-83, TI-30X), and gift cards (Target, Walmart, Office Depot).
- Contact: 954-915-8011; email [email protected]
Friday, July 27
Pop divas perform on National Scotch Day
Ancient Legacy: Myths & Legends
- The exhibit explores the essence of humanity through shared stories. Opening features music, wine and stories. Exhibit runs through Sept. 20.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: Studio 18 in the Pines, 1101 Poinciana Drive, Pembroke Pines
- Contact: ppines.com/studio18
National Scotch Day
- Try The Dragon Slayer at Apothecary
- 2 oz Balvenie 12yr Doublewood
0.5 oz Pineapple Syrup
0.5 oz Simple Syrup
0.5 oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
0.25 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth
1 oz Red Dragon Fruit Puree
- 2 oz Balvenie 12yr Doublewood
- Combine Balvenie 12yr Doublewood Scotch, Pineapple syrup, Simple Syrup, Dolin Dry Vermouth, Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, and Red Dragon Puree in a Shaker with ice. Shake until combined and pour into a cocktail glass. Garnish with Lemon peel.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: Apothecary, 330 Himmarshee St., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: apothecary330.com
- The 32-year-old singer and actor performs songs from her third album, “Dirty Computer,” which explores themes of female empowerment.
- When: 7:30 p.m.
- Where: The Fillmore Miami Beach, 1700 Washington Ave., Miami Beach
- Contact: fillmoremb.com
Dave Matthews Band
- The rock group has sold more than 50 million albums since its founding in 1991. On its summer tour, it performs fan favorites and new songs from its latest album, “Come Tomorrow.”
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Coral Sky Amphitheatre, 601-7 Sansburys Way, West Palm Beach
- Contact: westpalmbeachamphitheatre.com
- The pop princess brings her Las Vegas show, “Britney: Piece of Me,” on the road. Fans can sing along to her numerous hits, including “Circus,” “Toxic,” “Stronger,” “Me Against the Music” and the well-known “… Baby One More Time” and “Oops! I Did It Again.”
- When: July 27-29
- Where: Hard Rock Event Center
- Contact: seminolehardrockhollywood.com
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with the energetic local band Rogue Theory.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Twilight Concert Series at Gulfstream Park
- Starting today, Gulfstream Park features live Thoroughbred horse racing followed by a free concert with a variety of acts performing throughout the summer. This Friday, enjoy Smooth STB, a Santana tribute band.
- For a drink with your music, The Sport of Kings Theatre offers happy hour from 7-8 p.m.
- When: Race starts at 2:15 p.m.; Concert is 7-11 p.m.; Fridays through Aug. 31
- Where: 901 S. Federal Hwy., Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
- Info: gulfstreampark.com/twilightconcertseries
Saturday, July 28
Catch the beautiful game
Full Moon Takeover at 1 Hotel South Beach
- The hotel hosts a variety of activities to celebrate the full moon, including the following
- Happy Hour at DRIFT from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. with $10 moon-and-astrology-themed cocktails and Astral Card reading
- Sound healing in the Atrium from 7 – 8 p.m.
- Full Moon Yoga at Plnthouse’s Terrace from 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- PInthouse offers a variety of dishes including the Pitaya Bowl (pictured above)
- Live music at DRIFT from 8:30 – 11:30 p.m.
- Where: 2341 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- RSVP at [email protected]
- Contact: 1hotels.com/south-beach
- The Broadway veteran picks from Broadway and the American Songbook to tell a journey of love lost and found.
- When: July 28, 8 p.m.
- Where: Arts Garage, 94 NE Second Ave., Delray Beach
- Contact: artsgarage.org
International Champions Cup
- Two soccer games attract fans from around the world as FC Bayern Munich plays Manchester City (July 28), and Manchester United faces off against Real Madrid (July 31).
- When: July 28 and July 31
- Where: Hard Rock Stadium, 347 Don Shula Drive, Miami Gardens
- Contact: hardrockstadium.com
Ice Cream Science Weekend
- Scream for ice scream with activities that include a liquid nitrogen show, an ice cream relay race and ice cream making.
- When: July 28-29, noon-4 p.m.
- Where: Museum of Discovery and Science
- Contact: mods.org
Sunday, July 29
A Feast for the Ears. Plus, National Chicken Wing Day
Exploring the Tropics: A Critic and an Artist Talk
- Art critic Michael Mills and artist William Bock discuss their work
- When: 2-5 p.m.
- Where: Cotilla Gallery at Alvin Sherman Library
- Contact: sherman.library.nova.edu/sites/spotlight/event/exploring-the-tropics-paintings-and-assemblages-by-william-bock/
National Chicken Wing Day
- Celebrate at Duffy’s Sports Grill with half off when you order 10 of its award-winning Jumbo Wings.
- At Bokamper’s purchase chicken wings for 75 cents each (min. order of 10 wings) to enjoy blue cheese and celery for 99 cents.
- Where: Bokamper’s locations at Fort Lauderdale, Plantation and Miramar; Duffy’s locations at Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Plantation and more.
- Contact: duffysmvp.com/locations; bokampers.com/fort-lauderdale
Bonus: Wednesday, August 1
Food. Science. Chocolate. Need we say more?
- The event features the co-hosts of the award-winning podcast Gastropod, Cynthia Graber and Nicola Twilley as they take guests on a food adventure through the Science of Aphrodisiacs. Guests will go on a three-course tasting feast featuring special guests including local chocolatier Ricardo Trills of Cao Chocolates, one of the only bean to bar chocolate businesses in South Florida.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: Frost Science Museum
- Tickets: $10
- Contact: frostscience.org/gastropod
Bonus: Miami Spa Month
Each week this month, Lifestyle features a spa with specials for Miami Spa Month
- Besides it’s relaxation-incuding specials available throughout Miami Spa Month, bliss Spa presents Insta-bliss Happy Hour this Saturday, offering five spa experiences for the price of one. This sequence of services that allows guests to fully indulge in the ultimate relaxation and rejuvenation process for just $109. The package includes the following:
A 15-minute oxygen blast: This anti-oxidant facial will bring dull skin back to life and make it look immediately brighter and more hydrated.
Taster neck, shoulder, hand and arm massage: Feel instantly relaxed and calm with this 15-minute massage that melts away muscle tension in most tense areas.
A polish change: Give any regular manicure an instant shine with a fresh new polish coat in only 15 minutes.
Hot paraffin pack for the hands and feet: This add-on stimulates circulation and softens chapped, dry hands and feet0 a maintenance must-have.
A $25 bliss Spa product: All products are 100% cruelty-free and blissfully free from parabens and phthalates.
- When: Saturday, July 28, 7-9 p.m.
- Where: bliss Spa at W South Beach, 2201 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Reservations: 305-938-3123 to book this package or take advantage of other Miami Spa Month specials
- Contact: miamiandbeaches.com/spa/bliss-spa-at-w-south-beach/107648