The Lifestyle List
Starting This Week
Enjoy some art, then dine out.
Dine Out Downtown Delray Restaurant Week
- Taste the best of Delray Beach as more than 35 restaurants offer prix fixe menus for multicourse meals at $20 for lunch and $40 for dinner.
- Try Caffe Luna Rosa’s three-course dinner, which includes main course options of Papadelle Bolognese (pictured left), featuring house-made wide-noodle egg pasta with slow-stewed meat sauces; Pollo al Limone, a lemon chicken served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus; or Salmone in Padella, pan-seared North Atlantic salmon served with polenta and sautéed zucchini.
- Location: 34 S. Ocean Blvd., Deerfield Beach
- Info: 561-274-9404
- When: Aug. 1-7
- Where: Throughout downtown Delray Beach
- Info: thepalmbeaches.com
- The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau presents the 17th Miami Spice, showcasing Greater Miami’s diverse culinary scene. Fine dining restaurants will offer three-course prix-fixe Miami Spice menus at reduced prices ($23 per person for lunch and brunch / $39 per person for dinner). Prices include an appetizer, entrée and dessert; tax, tip, libations and service charges are additional.
- Start with La Moderna (1874 Bay Road, Miami Beach) featuring a variety of vegan delicacies including the Vegan Cannelloni (pictured above), filled with zucchini pesto, tomatoes and soy milk béchamel.
- When: Through Sept. 30
- Info: iLoveMiamiSpice.com
FAU MFA Candidate Exhibition
- View work from the next generation of artists completing master’s degrees at Florida Atlantic University, including Jason LeVan, Michael Dillow, Symantha Jones, Katie Brede, Margaret Crowley, Robert Navarrette, Melanie Urbie, Cangshu Gran and Karen-Janine Cohen.
- When: Through Aug. 31
- Where: Arts Garage, 94 NE Second Ave., Delray Beach
- Info: artsgarage.org
Boca Chamber Festival Days
- The series of fun-filled events is held at different locations in the South Palm Beach County area during the month of August. The Boca Chamber helps to facilitate these events that are created and run by a pairing of non-profit members with for-profit members to raise funds and awareness for the non-profit organizations.
- Events include wine tastings, museum visits, cocktail parties, bowling and more.
- When: Through Aug. 30
- Info: bocaratonchamber.com
Friday, August 3
Have a laugh
- The students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas invite the public to see the progress of their memorial wall, which they are painting with their art teacher.
- When: 6 p.m.
- Where: Lola’s Market, 2449 NE 13th Ave., Wilton Manors
Phoenix at Blooming Bean
- In this exhibit, a local photographer displays work from a yearlong photojournalism journey in the Everglades.
- When: Through Sept. 28
- Where: Bailey Contemporary Arts, 41 NE First St., Pompano Beach
- Info: baileyarts.org
- The Philadelphia-born comedian and actor is known for his exuberant delivery as he takes on a variety of social and personal issues on his “Irresponsible” tour.
- When: Aug. 3
- Where: Coral Sky Amphitheatre, 601-7 Sansburys Way, West Palm Beach
- Info: westpalmbeachamphitheatre.com
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with JM and The Sweets.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Twilight Concert Series at Gulfstream Park
- Starting today, Gulfstream Park features live Thoroughbred horse racing followed by a free concert with a variety of acts performing throughout the summer. This Friday, enjoy Fleetwood Mac tribute band True Rumors.
- For a drink with your music, The Sport of Kings Theatre offers happy hour from 7-8 p.m.
- When: Race starts at 2:15 p.m.; Concert is 7-11 p.m.; Fridays through Aug. 31
- Where: 901 S. Federal Hwy., Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
- Info: gulfstreampark.com/twilightconcertseries
Saturday, August 4
Plenty of arts events to celebrate the weekend
Miranda Lambert and Little Big Town
- Two of the biggest names in country music co-headline The Bandwagon Tour, uniting the talents that have won multiple country music industry awards and legions of fans.
- When: Aug. 4
- Where: Coral Sky Amphitheatre
- Info: westpalmbeachamphitheatre.com
- The New York-based Processional Arts Workshop returns to Vizcaya for the third year in a performance by local residents. The event explores James Deering’s dream of Vizcaya as a nautical fantasy and runs through the museum.
- When: Aug. 4, 8 p.m.
- Where: Vizcaya Museum & Gardens, 3251 S. Miami Ave, Miami
- Info: vizcayatickets.org
Open-Theme Exhibit Reception
- The juried exhibit features miscellaneous works (paintings, sculpture, mixed media, jewelry, photographs and more) by local artists.
- When: 6:30-9 p.m.; exhibit open until Aug. 17
- Where: Broward Art Guild, 3280 NE 32nd St., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: browardartguild.org
- The theatrical experience inspires parents to find harmony within the household while gaining insightful management lessons from leading authors and motivational speakers.
- The retreat will inspire and entertain attendees with expert advice, heart-felt musical numbers, and show-stopping dance routines.
- When: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Where: Pompano Beach Cultural Center
- Tickets: $115-$160
- Info: ccpompano.org
Sunday, August 5
Golden Oldies and Classic Pop
- Celebrating the music of the revolutionary decade and the 50th anniversary of the summer of 1968, the concert features Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels, Rick Derringer, Vanilla Fudge and Badfinger featuring Joey Molland.
- When: Aug. 5, 6 p.m.
- Where: Parker Playhouse, 707 NE Eighth St., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: browardcenter.org
- The pop icon has sold more than 160 million records, inspiring fans with her choreography and stunning stage shows. A recent recipient of Billboard’s Icon Award, the singer returns to the stage to promote her album “Unbreakable” on her “State of the World” tour.
- When: Aug. 5, 8 p.m.
- Where: AmericanAirlines Arena, 601 Biscayne Blvd., Miami
- Info: aaarena.com
“The Big Lebowski” at Cinemark
- Celebrate the 20th anniversary of the iconic film with newly remodeled electric Luxury Lounger reclining seats and a drink from the new lobby bar.
- When: 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.; Also, Aug. 8 at the same times.
- Where: Cinemark Paradise 24 and XD, 15601 Sheridan St., Davie
- Info: cinemark.com/florida/cinemark-paradise-24-and-xd
Give Back for Back to School
- The Hopkins Team (Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate team) is holding a Back-to-School Drive for school supplies through Aug. 5. The Team will distribute all collected school supplies to students at Broward County Public Schools.
- Donation Location: Coldwell Banker Residential Real Estate, 600 N. Pine Island Rd., #150, Plantation
- When: Mondays–Fridays, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
- What to give: Backpacks, lunch bags, markers, highlighters, pencil boxes or pouches, protractors and rulers, scissors, colored pencils, crayons, notebooks and loose-leaf paper, pens, pencils, pencil sharpeners, flash drives, binders and dividers, folders, glue sticks, wide ruled one-subject notebooks, composition notebooks, ruled index cards, calculators (TI-109,TI-83, TI-30X), and gift cards (Target, Walmart, Office Depot).
- Contact: 954-915-8011; email [email protected]
Give Back to the Children’s Diagnostic & Treatment Center
- CDTC’s Back to School Drive seeks to surpass last year’s donation of 870 backpacks. In addition to backpacks, school supplies will also be collected to fill the 900 backpacks CDTC hopes to gather this year.
- Donation Location: 1401 S. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale
- When: Through Aug. 9
- Contact: childrensdiagnostic.com/back-to-school
Bonus: Stave off the Monday Blues
Country Night at KINGS Dining & Entertainment Doral
- Event features mechanical bull riding, country music, costume contests and a Taylor Swift ticket giveaway.
- Enjoy two happy hours, All You Can Play deal with unlimited bowling and games for $15.99 from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: 3450 NW 83rd Ave., Suite 152, Doral
- RSVP: kings-de.com/miami-doral/promotions/annual-country-night
- Contact: 954-915-8011; email [email protected]
Bonus: Miami Spa Month
Each week this month, Lifestyle features a spa with specials for Miami Spa Month
Exhale at The Ritz-Carlton Bal Harbour
- The waterfront spa and boutique fitness destination is offering a combination of a Swedish-based Fusion massage along with a fitness class for a discounted price of $109.
- Spa guests can choose from an exhale signature barre, cardio, or yoga class to pair with their treatment and enjoy access to the hotel fitness center and beach.
- Where: 10295 Collins Ave., Bal Harbour
- Contact: MiamiSpaMonth.com