The Lifestyle List
Throughout the Month
Miami Spice Week and more fun through the month of August
- New City Players perform the play by Nick Paynes—once performed on Broadway by Jack Gyllenhaal and Ruth Wilson—about a romantic encounter that takes different routes in a series of parallel scenes that explore choice and destiny and even physics.
- When: Through Aug. 26
- Where: The Vanguard, 1501 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: newcityplayers.org
- The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau presents the 17th Miami Spice, showcasing Greater Miami’s diverse culinary scene. Fine dining restaurants will offer three-course prix-fixe Miami Spice menus at reduced prices ($23 per person for lunch and brunch / $39 per person for dinner). Prices include an appetizer, entrée and dessert; tax, tip, libations and service charges are additional.
- This weekend, try Elcielo. Appetizer options include the Potato Milhoja or Catch of the Day Tiradito, and entree options include Farmer’s Chicken and Colombian Atollado Rice, Grilled Salmon and a vegan option, Creamy Coconut Rice. Finish off the meal with a Colombian Dulce de Leche (pictured above) or Compressed Mango with Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache.
- Link so menu: Dinner Menu
- When: Through Sept. 30
- Info: iLoveMiamiSpice.com
FAU MFA Candidate Exhibition
- View work from the next generation of artists completing master’s degrees at Florida Atlantic University, including Jason LeVan, Michael Dillow, Symantha Jones, Katie Brede, Margaret Crowley, Robert Navarrette, Melanie Urbie, Cangshu Gran and Karen-Janine Cohen.
- When: Through Aug. 31
- Where: Arts Garage, 94 NE Second Ave., Delray Beach
- Info: artsgarage.org
Boca Chamber Festival Days
- The series of fun-filled events is held at different locations in the South Palm Beach County area during the month of August. The Boca Chamber helps to facilitate these events that are created and run by a pairing of non-profit members with for-profit members to raise funds and awareness for the non-profit organizations.
- Events include wine tastings, museum visits, cocktail parties, bowling and more.
- When: Through Aug. 30
- Info: bocaratonchamber.com
Friday, August 10
A Friday full of soul
Stick It! Challenge
- During the inaugural event, teams compete in challenges on stick ponies. A silent auction will also be held. Individual tickets include beer, wine and light bites and are $50.
- When: 5-8 p.m.
- Where: Equine-Assisted Therapies, 3600 W. Sample Road, Coconut Creek
- Info: equineatsf.org
Norman Jackson Band
- Known as “the Soul Machine,” Jackson leads his band in a blues performance that ranked third at the 2016 International Blues Challenge Finals.
- When: Aug. 10, 8 p.m.
- Where: Arts Garage, Delray Beach
- Info: artsgarage.com
Popcorn Frights Film Festival
- Feel the chills and thrills of horror films at this week-long festival.
- When: Aug. 10-16
- Where: Savor Cinema, 503 SE Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: popcornfrights.com
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with Orange Sunshine, playing the greatest hits of the 1960s.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Twilight Concert Series at Gulfstream Park
- Starting today, Gulfstream Park features live Thoroughbred horse racing followed by a free concert with a variety of acts performing throughout the summer. This Friday, enjoy Mojo Scoundrels, playing funk and R&B.
- For a drink with your music, The Sport of Kings Theatre offers happy hour from 7-8 p.m.
- When: Race starts at 2:15 p.m.; Concert is 7-11 p.m.; Fridays through Aug. 31
- Where: 901 S. Federal Hwy., Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
- Info: gulfstreampark.com/twilightconcertseries
Saturday, August 11
Festivals, jams and plays.
“White Guy on the Bus”
- The play by Bruce Graham takes on racial prejudice with the story of a white businessman and a black single mother who ride the same bus.
- When: Aug. 11-Sept. 9
- Where: GableStage at The Biltmore, 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables
- Info: gablestage.org
Cigar Rolling From Start to Finish
- Join HistoryMiami Museum to learn about cigar production from tobacco leaf growth to rolling while touring the cigar shop.
- When: Aug. 11, noon-1 p.m.
- Where: Havana Classic Cigar Shop, 1419 SW Eighth St.
- Info: historymiami.org
Andy and Susan Davis
- The couple performs popular Broadway and pop duets.
- When: Aug. 11, 8 p.m.
- Where: Township Center for Performing Arts, 2452 Lyons Road, Coconut Creek
- Info: townshipcoconutcreek.com
Julius Sanna Quartet
- The South Florida-based musician gets you moving with a combination of jazz, soul and funk played accompanied by talented musicians.
- When: Aug. 11, 8 p.m.
- Where: Arts Garage
- Info: artsgarage.org
Miami Summer Food, Wine and Spirits Festival
- Event features unlimited food samples, as well as beer, wine and spirits. The fun is amplified with live music and a DJ.
- When: Aug. 11, 7-11 p.m.
- Where: Revo Entertainment Center, 10395 NW 41st St., Doral
- Info: fallsartfestival.com
- One of the most popular motorsport events attracts fans of all ages to watch monster trucks roll, spin and crush their way through competitions.
- When: Aug 11, 1 & 7 p.m.; Aug. 12, 1 p.m.
- Where: BB&T Center, 1 Panther Parkway, Sunrise
- Info: thebbtcenter.com
Sunday, August 12
Dance your Sunday away
International Ballet Festival of Miami: Contemporary Performance
- As part of the 23rd annual festival, five companies from the United States, Mexico and Europe perform an eclectic combination of modern and contemporary dance.
- When: Aug 12, 5 p.m
- Where: Broward Center, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: browardcenter.org
Bonus: Wednesday, August 15
Immerse yourself in the Broward art scene
Arts Mean Business Speaker Series
- Business for the Arts Broward features Rebecca Bradley of Cadence Landscape Architects and Jordan Magid of Unconventional as they share the thought process behind the collaboration for “Main Course,” the first multi-sensory mural brought to Broward County’s Mockingbird Trail. The event is free. Complimentary cocktails and hors d’oeuvres will be served.
- When: 5:30-7 p.m.
- Where: Wells Coffee, 737 NE Second Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: RSVP, call 954-940-5344 or email [email protected]
Bonus: Miami Spa Month
Each week this month, Lifestyle features a spa with specials for Miami Spa Month
The Betsy Wellness Garden and Spa
- For just $139, guests can enjoy a luscious Tao Tea Body Treatment & Massage, which includes an invigorating scrub of green tea and rice, a 90-minute massage and soothing polyphenols to protect against the sun’s UV rays.
- All Miami Spa month treatments commence with a cooling foot soak ritual of the Ling Zhi mushroom prized for its depth of “supernatural” powers.
- Where: The Betsy Hotel, 1440 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach
- Contact: MiamiSpaMonth.com