The Lifestyle List
Throughout the Month
Miami Spice and more fun through the month of August
- New City Players perform the play by Nick Paynes—once performed on Broadway by Jack Gyllenhaal and Ruth Wilson—about a romantic encounter that takes different routes in a series of parallel scenes that explore choice and destiny and even physics.
- When: Through Aug. 26
- Where: The Vanguard, 1501 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Info: newcityplayers.org
- The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau presents the 17th Miami Spice, showcasing Greater Miami’s diverse culinary scene. Fine dining restaurants will offer three-course prix-fixe Miami Spice menus at reduced prices ($23 per person for lunch and brunch / $39 per person for dinner). Prices include an appetizer, entrée and dessert; tax, tip, libations and service charges are additional.
- This weekend, try Bird and Bone where Chef Richard Hales’ southern-inspired restaurant offers a three-course Miami Spice dinner menu that includes a complimentary glass of house Red or White Wine (usually $12-14 on the menu) or choice of Signature Cocktail (usually $14 or $15 on the menu).
- Click here for the menu
- Where: The Confidante Miami Beach, 4041 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Contact: 305.424.1234
- When: Through Sept. 30
- Info: iLoveMiamiSpice.com
“White Guy on the Bus”
- The play by Bruce Graham takes on racial prejudice with the story of a white businessman and a black single mother who ride the same bus.
- When: Aug. 11-Sept. 9
- Where: GableStage at The Biltmore, 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables
- Info: gablestage.org
FAU MFA Candidate Exhibition
- View work from the next generation of artists completing master’s degrees at Florida Atlantic University, including Jason LeVan, Michael Dillow, Symantha Jones, Katie Brede, Margaret Crowley, Robert Navarrette, Melanie Urbie, Cangshu Gran and Karen-Janine Cohen.
- When: Through Aug. 31
- Where: Arts Garage, 94 NE Second Ave., Delray Beach
- Info: artsgarage.org
Boca Chamber Festival Days
- The series of fun-filled events is held at different locations in the South Palm Beach County area during the month of August. The Boca Chamber helps to facilitate these events that are created and run by a pairing of non-profit members with for-profit members to raise funds and awareness for the non-profit organizations.
- Events include wine tastings, museum visits, cocktail parties, bowling and more.
- When: Through Aug. 30
- Info: bocaratonchamber.com
Friday, August 24
Good Eats and Good Times
Come Back and Dance: A Salute to Sammy
- Step back in time to the age of cool with a tribute to legendary entertainer Sammy Davis Jr. by Dezhon Fields, who has toured the country as the Rat Packer for 14 years.
- When: Aug. 24 & 25, 8 p.m.
- Where: Township Center for Performing Arts
- Info: comebackanddancetour.eventbrite.com
Chefs Up Front
- Fort Lauderdale’s best chefs prepare five-course dinners to benefit the Florida Introduces Physical Activity and Nutrition to Youth’s Cooking Matters program.
- When: 6 p.m.
- Where: W Fort Lauderdale, 401 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd.
- Info: chefsupfront.org
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with Electric Piquete, playing jazz, salsa and punk.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Twilight Concert Series at Gulfstream Park
- Starting today, Gulfstream Park features live Thoroughbred horse racing followed by a free concert with a variety of acts performing throughout the summer. This Friday, enjoy Stereotomy, playing 1980s New Wave Retro.
- For a drink with your music, The Sport of Kings Theatre offers happy hour from 7-8 p.m.
- When: Race starts at 2:15 p.m.; Concert is 7-11 p.m.; Fridays through Aug. 31
- Where: 901 S. Federal Hwy., Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
- Info: gulfstreampark.com/twilightconcertseries
Saturday, August 25
Entertainment and More.
Borowski at Night (Pictured above)
- Featured in several European gardens, the whimsical glasswork of the famous glass studio—inspired by fairytale creatures—is illuminated to create a magical world. The exhibit runs through Sept. 3.
- When: Aug. 25, 8-10 p.m.
- Where: Flamingo Gardens, 3750 S. Flamingo Road, Davie
- Info: flamingogardens.org
- Miami Lyric Opera performs Bizet’s famous work about a passionate gypsy and the man she drives to insanity, which features some of the world’s most recognizable opera music.
- When: Aug. 25 & 26
- Where: South-Miami Dade Cultural Arts Center, 10950 SW 211 St., Cutler Bay
- Info: smdcac.org
- Attendees can purchase boats, kayaks, fishing and scuba gear, marine electronics and nautical-themed artwork, clothing and upholstery. The event also includes a fishing derby.
- When: Aug. 25, 9 a.m.-6 p.m., and Aug. 26, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Where: Festival Marketplace, 2900 W. Sample Road, Pompano Beach
- Info: festival.com
“Dixie’s Tupperware Party”
- The hilarious show garnered the prestigious 2008 Drama Desk Award Nomination. It follows Dixie Longate, as the fast-talking Tupperware Lady, who has packed up her catalogues, and left her children in an Alabama trailer park to journey across America.
- Note: Contains adult content.
- When: Aug. at 8 p.m. and Aug. 26 at 2 p.m.
- Tickets: $55
- Where: The Wick Theatre, 7901 N. Federal Highway, Boca Raton
- Info: thewick.org
Sunday, August 26
Celebrate the full moon
American Roots of Jamaican Music: Legacy
- Rootz of Music chronicles the relationship between Jamaican and American music with an exploration of popular songs from the 1940s to today, performed by Jamaican composer Eugene Grey and dancers.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: Pompano Beach Cultural Center, 50 W. Atlantic Blvd.
- Info: ccpompano.org
Crystals and Caftans Full Moon Party
- The nightcap party on the 1 Rooftop will boast pop-up shops selling crystals and caftans, tarot card readings, a telescope for moon gazing and beats by DJ Naim Zarzour. Party starts at 9 p.m.
- Before the party, enjoy these activities
- Happy Hour at DRIFT from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. with $10 moon-and-astrology-themed cocktails and Astral Card reading
- Sound healing on the Northeast Terrace from 7 – 9 p.m.
- Full Moon Yoga at The South Lawn from 7:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Where: 1 Hotel South Beach
- RSVP: [email protected]
- Info: 1hotels.com/south-beach/discover
Bonus: Miami Spa Month
Each week this month, Lifestyle features a spa with specials for Miami Spa Month
Âme Spa & Wellness Collective at Turnberry Isle Resort
- Several treatments are available for $109 this month, including the Fijian Body Butter Massage with your choice of coconut, guava or mango body butter. This unique massage hydrates the body and calms the mind.
- Where: Turnberry Isle Miami, 19999 W. Country Club Drive, Aventura
- Contact: MiamiSpaMonth.com