The Lifestyle List
Throughout the Month
Miami Spice and more fun through the month of September
- The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau presents the 17th Miami Spice, showcasing Greater Miami’s diverse culinary scene. Fine dining restaurants will offer three-course prix-fixe Miami Spice menus at reduced prices ($23 per person for lunch and brunch / $39 per person for dinner). Prices include an appetizer, entrée and dessert; tax, tip, libations and service charges are additional.
- This weekend, try Bulla Gastrobar in Doral or Coral Gables. Pick from an excellent list of three courses (including dessert) and enjoy a complimentary glass of any sangria you’d like (pictured above).
- bullagastrobar.com/menus/coral-gables; bullagastrobar.com/menus/doral
- When: Through Sept. 30
- Info: 305.602.9663; iLoveMiamiSpice.com
Crave GFL Restaurant Month
- When: Sept. 1-Sept. 30
- Where: Throughout Greater Fort Lauderdale
- What: Enjoy three-course gourmet dinner menus for either $35 or $45 throughout the month.
- This weekend, try Point Royal, Geoffrey Zakarian’s coastal American restaurant and bar with an accessible, modern take on seaside restaurant.
- Menu highlights include Pow Pow Shrimp with sesame seeds, cilantro and green onions; Steamed Maine Mussels with white wine, garlic, dijon mustard, creme fraiche and grilled sourdough; and Organic Half Chicken with jambalaya and tarragon chimichurri.
- Info: sunny.org/listings/point-royal/11310
- When: Sept. 14-30
- Where: The Vanguard, 1501 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- What: Thinking Cap Theatre presents a play exploring the two Marys in Mary Shelley’s life: her mother Mary Wollstonecraft, who died giving birth to her, and her stepmother.
- Info: vanguardarts.org
- When: Sept. 14-Oct. 21
- Where: Art and Culture Center of Hollywood, 1650 Harrison St., Hollywood
- What: The exhibit features work from Florida artists and explores issues of ecology and multicultural identities, presenting a vision for Florida’s cultural climate and its place in a global economy.
- Info: artandculturecenter.org
Instagram Photo Exhibit
- Photos from the Arts Council of Greater Weston Instagram Photo Contest, “Life Is Color” will be on exhibit.
- When: Sept. 7-27
- Where: Weston Branch Library, 4205 Bonaventure Blvd.
- Info: 1weston.com
Friday, September 21
MSD Country Strong
- When: 6 p.m.
- Where: FAU Kaye Performing Arts Auditorium, 1973-1995 Dade Ave., Boca Raton
- What: The concert honors those affected by gun violence with a performance by award-winning country artist Justin Moore as well as a beer garden, mechanical bull, food trucks and prizes.
- Info: msdcountrystrong.com
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: Adrienne Arsht Center
- What: Fresh off the buzz of a new summer season of his Netflix series, “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee,” one of America’s favorite comedians takes the stage to charm audiences with his everyday observations.
- Info: arshtcenter.org
- When: Sept. 21-22, 7 p.m.
- Where: AmericanAirlines Arena
- What: The Canadian-born 31-year-old has gone from teen star to celebrated rapper, breaking records with catchy singles and dance moves that have gone viral on social media.
- Info: aaarena.com
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with B-Side Jones, singing high energy songs from the past and present.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Saturday, September 22
A variety of events to keep the weekend going.
Riverwalk Fall Festival
- When: Noon-4 p.m.
- Where: Esplanade Park, 400 SW Second St., Fort Lauderdale
- What: Welcome the season with the fourth annual festival featuring train rides, live music, competitions, games, vendors and carnival-themed games and face painting.
- Info: goriverwalk.com
Lee Ann Womack
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Bailey Hall, 3501 Davie Road, Davie
- What: Known for her emotional songs, the award-winning singer performs from her latest critically acclaimed album, “The Lonely, The Lonesome & The Gone,” and will no doubt sing crowd favorite “I Hope You Dance.”
- Info: baileyhall.org
Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: BB&T Center
- What: While you’re waiting for the final season of the series, watch composer Ramin Djawaldi lead an orchestra and choir performing its epic music, with stunning visuals and footage.
- Info: thebbtcenter.com
Imagination Meets Urbanism: Mixed Media Painting
- When: 10 a.m,-noon
- Where: The Frank, 601 City Center Way, Pembroke Pines, FL 33025
- What: In the free workshop, artist Marina Gonella teaches students how to celebrate their own cities through urban artmaking techniques. Using photos of their cities, neighborhoods and environment, students will learn how to layer different media and will apply creative drawing methods to create collage-like imaginary cityscapes.
- Info: thefrankgallery.org
Sunday, September 23
Get ready for Monday
Jazz in the Pines
- When: Monthly through December starting Sept. 23, 5-7 p.m.
- Where: Charles F. Dodge City Center, 601 City Center Way, Pembroke Pines
- What: Bring your blankets and enjoy the series of nine concerts.
- Info: charlesfdodgecitycenter.com
- When: 11 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Where: Willow Theatre at Sugar Sand Park, 300 S. Military Trail, Boca Raton
- What: Bright Star Theatre performs Washington Irving’s classic story of spooks and scares.
- Info: willowtheatre.org
Bonus: Looking ahead to next week
We couldn’t resist giving you a taste of some mid-week events.
Cultural Sites Tour
- When: Sept. 28, 8:15 a.m.-1:15 p.m.
- Where: Meet at Stonewall National Library, 1300 E. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- What: The fully-guided tour takes participants for an exploration of the cultural treasures Broward County has to offer. Tour destinations include the Stonewall National Library, the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, the Girls’ Club Collection, IS Projects, and the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society, where lunch will be served.
- Cost: $50 includes breakfast, lunch, transportation, networking, admission and guided tour.
- RSVP: By Sept. 26
- Info: 954.940.5344
March of Dimes Signature Chefs Auction
- When: Sept. 26, 6 p.m.
- Where: Burlock Coast at The Ritz-Carlton, Fort Lauderdale
- What: Prominent area chefs prepare their signature dishes created exclusively for the evening. Chef Culinary Chair Reynier De La Osa of Publix Aprons Cooking School and Host Culinary Chair Chef Paula DaSilva of Burlock Coast will be joined by a stellar lineup of chefs from more than a dozen of the area’s most prominent restaurants.
- Cost: Tables of 10 are available for $2,000; individual tickets are $250 per person
- Info: signaturechefs.org/broward
South Florida International Fashion Week
- When: Sept. 24-29
- Where: Six cities in the tri-county area
- What: First held in February, the event features shows from more than a dozen designers and raises funds for the Fashion for a Cause Foundation.
- Info: sfifw.org
- When: Sept. 25, 8 p.m.
- Where: Hard Rock Event Center
- What: One of the most iconic pop stars in recent memory returns to the stage after more than 10 years with new music and fan favorites.
- Info: seminolehardrockhollywood.com