Throughout the Month
Fun throughout the month of October
Lifestyle’s Pick: Bokamper’s 10th Anniversary
- Info: bokampers.com
- When: Through Oct. 5
- Where: All Bokamper’s Sports Bar & Grill locations
- What: To celebrate the 10th anniversary of Bokamper’s, all locations offer food and drink specials as well as a bonus card offer. Best known for their wings, the anniversary specials launch with 10-cent wings (maximum 10 wings) and 10-cent Bo’s Brew Pale Ale from 5-7 p.m. Guests can enjoy wings tossed in more than 10 signature sauces or rubs. The full details are as follows:
- Thursday, Oct. 4: $10 Boneless Wings + 16 oz. Bo’s Brew Pale Ale
- Friday, Oct. 5: $10 Full Rack Ribs served with coleslaw & American fries
Seed Plant-based Restaurant Week
- When: Through Oct. 15
- Where: Restaurants throughout Miami-Dade, Palm Beach and Broward, including Manna Life Food in Downtown Miami; Planta in Miami Beach; Love Life Café and Plant in Wynwood; Holi Vegan in North Miami Beach; Green Bar and Kitchen in Fort Lauderdale.
- What: Seed Food & Wine Week hosts the inaugural restaurant week, offering an appetizer, entree and dessert or a prix-fixe meals. $18 lunch and $26 dinner at fast casual concepts and $22 lunch and $36 dinner at fine dining restaurants.
- Info: seedfoodandwine.com/restaurant-week
Miami Attractions Month
- When: Through Nov. 30
- Where: Throughout Miami-Dade County
- What: Attractions throughout Miami-Dade County offer special discounts throughout the month. Attractions include Zoo Miami, Jungle Island, Coral Castle, Deering Estate, Monkey Jungle, Pinecrest Gardens and HistoryMiami Museum.
- Info: miamitemptations.com/miami-attractions-month
Creatures of Light: Nature’s Bioluminescence (pictured above)
- When: Oct. 6-April 21
- Where: Frost Museum of Science, 1101 Biscayne Blvd., Miami
- What: With re-created natural environments, the exhibit explores organisms that produce light—from glowing sea creatures, such as the crystal jelly, to forest fireflies.
- Info: frostscience.org
- When: Through Oct. 21
- Where: Art and Culture Center of Hollywood, 1650 Harrison St., Hollywood
- What: The exhibit features work from Florida artists and explores issues of ecology and multicultural identities, presenting a vision for Florida’s cultural climate and its place in a global economy.
- Info: artandculturecenter.org
Friday, October 5
Do you hear it coming in the air tonight?
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: BB&T Center, 1 Panther Parkway, Sunrise
- What: The English singer and Miami Beach resident celebrates his career with a memoir and a tour—both reminding fans that he’s “Not Dead Yet.”
- Info: thebbtcenter.com
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with All Star Soul Band, who play the blues.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Brightline’s Tasting Train
- Brightline hosts its second Tasting Train, featuring the Antinori Family Winery, one of the world’s oldest family-owned companies. Guests traveling from West Palm Beach or Fort Lauderdale can enjoy Antorni’s Guado al Tasso wine samplings in their ride experience to MiamiCentral. When riders disembark, they will be greeted by a stylish reception featuring live music, multiple tasting stations serving Antinori’s finest wines from Tuscany and carefully selected cuisine options, all set against incredible views of Biscayne Bay and the downtown Miami skyline.
- When: Reception is 6:45 to 9:45 p.m.
- Cost: $100 for the reception in Miami, $150 for the reception and roundtrip train ride with wine tasting in Smart service, which includes an exclusive tasting of rare vintage wines
- Click here for tickets: Eventbrite.
Saturday, October 6
Get a bird’s eye view of Fort Lauderdale with Gilda’s Club of South Florida and see the sights of the season at Flamingo Gardens.
Climbing Down to Raise Up
- What: Gilda’s Club South Florida, which provides a supportive community for adults and children with cancer, hosts a fundraiser in hopes of raising $100,000.
- The first 90 people to sign up (registration fee is $50) and raise at least $1,000 for the charity will be able to participate in Over the Edge, taking place at the Auto Nation building in Fort Lauderdale, where participants rappel from the 12th-floor garage.
- Info: gildasclubsouthflorida.org
- When: Oct. 6, 8 p.m.
- Where: Broward Center, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- What: The comedian has steadily grown his career with late-night show performances and comedy albums, but is perhaps best-known for his documentary “The Problem With Apu.”
- Info: browardcenter.org
- When: October 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 & 28
- Where: Flamingo Gardens, 3750 S. Flamingo Road, Davie
- What: The themed weekends include story time, tram tours, trick-or-treating, and meet-and-greets with costumed characters.
- Info: flamingogardens.org
- When: 4-10 p.m.
- Where: Coral SpringsCity Hall, 9500 West Sample Road
- What: With authentic German fare, entertainment, beer and wine, as well as Bavarian treats.
- Info: coralsprings.org/artoberfest
Bark N’ Brunch
- When: 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Where: Brimstone Woodfire Grill, Pembroke Pines
- What: Pet lovers can bring their fur babies along for brunch while enjoying Brimstone favorites and listening to the DJ spin some tunes. Pups can also enjoy their very own complimentary cocktails. Proceeds will be donated to the Miami Dade Animal Shelter.
- Info: brimstonewoodfiregrill.com
- When: Oct. 6-27
- Where: Historic Ali Cultural Arts, 353 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.,
- What: ArtHeart Artist Group and Ali Cultural Arts collaborate in this exhibit of new and established artists such as Daniel Garcia, Jacalyn Gmoch and Nathalie Hernandez (work pictured right).
- Info: aliarts.org
- When: Oct. 6-7
- Where: Wold Performing Arts Center, 3601 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton
- What: Broadway and classical singers take the stage with dancers to perform the most memorable love songs from the stage and screen.
- Info: events.lynn.edu
Sunday, October 7
Get ready for Monday
Storybook Character Celebration
- When: Oct. 7, 2-7 p.m.
- Where: ArtServe, 1350 E. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- What: The I Can Be Foundation’s free family event features a reading circle, games, raffles, dancing, face painting, slime station and costume contest.
- Info: artserve.org
- When: Oct. 7
- Where: Deerfield Beach, 149 SE 21st Ave.
- What: The 22nd annual run benefits the Boys & Girls Clubs of Broward County.
- Info: dunnsrun.com
Bonus: Wednesday, October 10
Dine out and give back
Dine Out for Kids Day
- When: Oct. 10
- What: Communities in Schools of Miami is hosting its first annual Dine Out for Kids Day. The event gives the community the opportunity to demonstrate their support for at-risk kids in greater Miami-Dade County. Restaurants will have “I Dined Out for Kids®” stickers for diners to adorn and share the experience using hashtag #DineOutForKids.
- Where: Participating restaurants include
- Fratelli La Bufala, 437 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach
- La Moderna, 1874 Bay Road, Miami Beach
- Misha’s Cupcakes, 1548 South Dixie Highway or 227 Aragon Avenue, Coral Gables
- Info: cismiami.org/dineout