The Lifestyle List: March 8-10
South Florida events for the weekend of March 8-10
Throughout the Month
- WHEN: Through March 30; artist talk, March 23, 2 p.m.
- WHERE: Bailey Contemporary Arts, 41 NE First St., Pompano Beach
- WHAT: The solo exhibit by Spanish artist Florencia Clement de Grandprey celebrates Women’s History Month and International Women’s Day with dramatic and colorful artwork portraying strong and powerful women.
- INFO: baileyarts.org
Sayaka Ganz: Reclaimed Creations
- WHEN: Through March 31
- WHERE: Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens, 4000 Morikami Park Road, Delray Beach
- WHAT: The Japanese artist uses reclaimed plastic to create sculptures in a style she calls “3D impressionism,” portrays animals in motion.
- INFO: morikami.org
Friday, March 8
Kings & Queens Party (pictured)
- WHEN: March 8, 8 p.m.
- WHERE: The Balcony, 1309 E Las Olas Blvd, Fort Lauderdale
- WHAT: Celebrate Mardi Gras New Orleans style with food and drink specials, Mardi Gras entertainers, a live band and DJ, and a costume contest—dress like a king or a queen and possibly win a share of $1,000 in bar tab prizes!
- INFO: thebalconylasolas.com
International Women’s Day at 1 Hotel South Beach
- WHEN: March 8, starting at 9 a.m.
- WHERE: 1 Hotel South Beach, 2341 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- WHAT: The hotel celebrates women with an Anatomy workout class, panel discussion and rooftop party. The one-hour Triple Threat workout class features three instructors. A Fierce Females Panel Discussion honors influential Miami women, discussing empowerment, energy and business. Close the night with a rooftop party featuring all women DJs and specialty “goddess” cocktails from Grey Goose.
- TICKETS/INFO: 1hotels.com/south-beach/discover/events
- WHEN: March 8-31
- WHERE: Pompano Beach Cultural Center
- WHAT: The Outré Theatre Company presents Gregory Naufft’s award-winning play, winner of the 2010 Outer Critics Circle Award for Best New American Play. A witty examination of what it means to love unconditionally, it follows Luke is a devout believer and his boyfriend Adam, a militant agnostic, over their five-year relationship.
- INFO: ccpompano.org
Saturday, March 9
- WHEN: March 9, 7:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Community Center and Brian Piccolo Park in Cooper City
- WHAT: Cooper City celebrates its 60th birthday with a color run supporting Relay For Life as well as a parade, concert, fireworks, food booths, community performances and an antique car show.
- INFO: coopercityfl.org
- WHEN: March 9, 6:30-10:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Pavilion Grille, 301 Yamato Road, Boca Raton
- WHAT: The event benefits the Soroptimists of Pompano Beach and girls and women in the community with country music, dancing, a buffet dinner, open bar silent auction and drawings.
- INFO: 561.459.7070
- WHEN: March 9, 7 p.m.
- WHERE: BB&T Center, 1 Panther Parkway, Sunrise
- WHAT: Blake Shelton brings a who’s who of special guests on his “Friends and Heroes” tour, including John Anderson, Trace Adkins, Lauren Alaina and the Bellamy Brothers.
- INFO: thebbtcenter.com
Miami City Ballet: Heatscape (pictured on main page)
- When: March 9-10
- Where: Broward Center, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- What: The company takes inspiration from the Wynwood district for “Heatscape” from Tony Award-winning choreographer Justin Peck and visual artist Shepard Fairey. Other presentations include Balachine’s “The Four Temperaments,” and “Duo Concertant,” and August Bournoville and Edvard Helsted’s “The Flower Festival in Genzano Pas De Deux.”
- Info: browardcenter.org
14th Annual Jazz in The Gardens Music Festival
- WHEN: March 9-10
- WHERE: Hard Rock Stadium, 347 Don Shula Drive, Miami Gardens
- WHAT: Miami Gardens’ signature event celebrates local artists’ renditions of classics by Lionel Richie, Jagged Edge, Teddy Riley, Brandy and more.
- INFO: jazzinthegardens.com
Artfest in the Pines
- WHEN: March 9-10
- WHERE: Charles F. Dodge City Center
- WHAT: Pembroke Pines celebrates local art, food, and entertainment at the 21st annual event, featuring demonstrations, a farmers market, pop-up art and children’s workshops.
- INFO: ppines.com/artfest
“The Art of Barbie” (pictured)
- WHEN: March 9-April 6; grand opening, March 9, 7 p.m.
- WHERE: Art Gallery 21, 600 NE 21 Court, Wilton Manors
- WHAT: This exhibit celebrates the legendary doll’s 60th birthday, inviting guests to explore the glittery life of Barbie in an interactive way that explores the concept of play in our culture.
- INFO: artgallery21.org
Sunday, March 10
- WHEN: March 10, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
- WHERE: NSU Alvin Sherman Library, 3100 Ray Ferrero Blvd., Davie
- WHAT: The family-friendly day of storytelling, live shows, facepainting and more gives children a free book.
- INFO: aslstoryfest.com
Weston Pops Concert (pictured)
- WHEN: March 10, 6:30 p.m.
- WHERE: Weston Town Center, 1675 Market St., Weston
- WHAT: The Symphony of the Americas plays popular classics, movie themes, Broadway tunes tributes and pop standards at this outdoor concert.
- INFO: 1weston.com
Travis Tritt & The Charlie Daniels Band
- WHEN: March 10, 7 p.m.
- WHERE: Pompano Beach Amphitheater, 1806 NE Sixth St., Pompano Beach
- WHAT: Tritt combines R&B and country first heard on his 2007 album “The Storm.” The Charlie Daniels Band and special guest Cadillac Three join on the “Outlaws and Renegades” tour.
- INFO: theamppompano.org