The Lifestyle List
What’s the buzz in South Florida?
Friday, Aug. 18
Pinot & Pasta
- The Atlantic Hotel & Spa is debuting a new event on the 5th floor Oceanfront Terrace that will feature a pasta buffet, two glasses of wine and live music by DJ Zach. Complimentary valet is included.
- When: 6–8 p.m.
- Where: 601 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
Chefs Up Front Miami
- Ten of South Florida’s most celebrated chefs will interact with and cook for tables of 10 guests, preparing a five-course dinner with wine pairings. The seventh annual event is hosted by FLIPANY (Florida Introduces Physical Activity and Nutrition to Youth). Before dinner, there will be a reception with a silent auction, hor d’oeuvres and an open bar. After dinner, guests are invited stick around to mix and mingle. All proceeds will assist FLIPANY in its mission to provide nutritional education, access to healthy food and physical activity to youth in South Florida through the Cooking Matters Program.
- When: 6 p.m.
- Price: $250 per person
- Where: Biltmore Hotel (1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables)
- *Chefs Up Front Fort Lauderdale*: Aug. 25; (401 N. Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., Fort Lauderdale)
Saturday, Aug. 19
American Idol open-call auditions
- Think you’ve got what it takes to become the next superstar? The hit singing competition is returning for its 16th season on ABC. “Idol” alumna Jordan Sparks will attend the audition.
- Where: Miami Marine Flex Park (3501 Rickenbacker Causeway, Key Biscayne)
Princess Brunch at BRIO Tuscan Grille
- Disney World is coming to Broward County this weekend. Children and parents are invited to a tableside meet-and-greet with Cinderella and other princesses. Cameras are encouraged. Entrees include coffee, tea, soda, milk or juice.
- When: 9–11 a.m.
- Price: $11.95 per adult, $5.95 per child
- Where: The Shops at Pembroke Gardens (14576 SW 5th Street, Pembroke Pines)
Debut: Art exhibit
- Weston Art Guild and 1310 Gallery present the “Art is…” exhibition. Opening night will feature live music, hors d’oeuvres and more.
- When: 6–10 p.m.
- Where: 1310 Gallery at Sailboat Bend Artist Lofts (1310 SW 2nd Court, Fort Lauderdale)
“I Love The 90’s”
- Bring on the nostalgia—this tour features iconic rap, hip hop and R&B artists of the decade, including Vanilla Ice, Salt N Pepa with Spinderella, Color Me Badd, Coolio, Tone Loc, Rob Base and Young MC. Expect chart-topping hits, such as “Let’s Talk About Sex,” “Shoop,” “Ice, Ice Baby,” “I Wanna Sex You Up,” “Just A Friend,” “Funky Cold Medina,” “It Takes Two” and “Gangsta’s Paradise.”
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: The Amp Pompano Beach Amphitheatre (1806 NE 6th Street, Pompano Beach)
- The country music singer is crooning live on his “They Don’t Know” tour, with special guests Chris Young and Kane Brown.
- When: 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Perfect Vodka Amphitheatre (601-7 Sansbury’s Way, West Palm Beach)
Chris MacDonald’s Memories of Elvis
- Groove to a dynamic tribute to the “shy, humble country boy who became the King of Rock-n-Roll,” which features highlights of his iconic career.
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Parker Playhouse (707 NE 8th Street, Fort Lauderdale)
Graceland Presents: Elvis Live in Concert
- This year marks the 40th anniversary of Elvis’ death at Graceland. With the help of the latest technology, he performs on video screens and is backed up by a live band, singers and an orchestra.
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Au-Rene Theater at The Broward Center for the Performing Arts (201 SW 5th Ave. Fort Lauderdale)
News and Notes: Foodie Edition
Festival of the Harvest
- Louie Bossi’s Ristorante Bar and Pizzeria in Boca Raton is hosting Festa della Vendemmia (Festival of the Harvest), an Italian tradition. The four-course dinner, which will be paired with wine, will showcase an international menu. Louie Bossi’s sommelier, Ervin Machado, will go head-to-head with master sommelier Andrew McNamara. Both have selected a wine to accompany each course, and guests can vote for their favorite pairing. Machado’s pairings will be from Italy only, while McNamara’s will be from across the globe.
- When: Aug. 22, 7:30 p.m.
- Price: $120
- Where: 100 E. Palmetto Park Road, Boca Raton
Happy Hour promotion at Beaker & Gray
- On the fourth week of each month, the hip restaurant host its Instant Karma promotion, in which it joins forces with a local nonprofit and donates a percentage of happy hour proceeds to that cause. August’s partner is the Miami Model Citizens, trailblazers from the fashion, business and social scene who make an impact on the community through charity and volunteerism to benefit animals and children in need, as well as through promoting overall health and wellness.
- Running: Aug. 21–24, 4–7 p.m.
- Bites include: Grilled cheese (smoked ham, Swiss cheese and pickles), croquettes (Wagyu, Manchego cheese and jerk-aioli) and savory Mochi (dill, coconut and togarashi). There are also a variety of cocktails, beers and wines.
- Where: 2637 N. Miami Ave., Miami
- *Extra karma*: Instant Karma Cocktail Party and Back to School Supply Drive
- Guests are encouraged to bring school supplies or donate money.
- When: Aug. 22, 6–9 p.m.
- Price: $25 until Aug. 21, $35 at the door. Tickets include two cocktail tickets and light bites.
Anniversary celebration at SuViche
- The Peruvian-Japanese restaurant is celebrating the two-year anniversary of its Las Olas location with food and drink specials, including an open bar from 6–7 p.m. and all-night happy hour. There will also be a jazz band and live mural painting by Peruvian artist Didi Rok.
- When: Aug. 24
- Where: 401 E. Las Olas Blvd, Suite 150, Fort Lauderdale
Drink Up at DÔA
- The Latin-inspired Asian restaurant is adding another craft cocktail to its menu. Award-winning bar manager Josh Gonzalez says the DÔA Cooler’s formula of Kettle One, Soto Sake, Ever Spring Tea syrup, watermelon juice and Yuzu is refreshing, yet enhances the flavors of the diverse culinary offerings.
- DÔA Cooler
- 1 ounce Kettle One
- 1 ounce Soto Sake
- 1/2 ounce Ever Spring Tea syrup (olong)
- 1 ounce Watermelon Juice
- 1/2 ounce Yuzu
- Directions: Combine all ingredients in a shaker, add ice and shake vigorously, Strain over fresh ice into a Highball.
- Garnish: Dehydrated Lemon & Lime Wheel
- Glass: Highball/Collins