The Lifestyle List
The fireworks may be over but the summer is just beginning. Lifestyle presents must-do events for the weekend of July 6-8. Plus, we give you the lowdown on Miami Spa Month.
Friday, July 6
The fun goes beyond fireworks this weekend with art exhibits and music performances
- The fifth annual exhibit features 400 pieces donated by artists from around the country and opens with an art walk July 6 from 6-9 p.m.
- When: Exhibit open through July 29
- Where: Cornell Art Museum, 51 N. Swinton Ave., Delray Beach
- Contact: oldschoolsquare.org
Social Objects (pictured above)
- An exhibition featuring ceramic works from the Socially Engaged Craft Collective such as “Upstream” by Anna Metcalfe (pictured above), which encourages viewers to share stories about water, which will then be incorporated into tea cups. This expanding network of artists from around the country creates a wide range of art projects that are rooted in the rich history of ceramic objects. While many of the pieces are utilitarian in nature, the artwork comes to life through its messages, tackling diverse subjects such as gender roles, the environment and migrant worker issues.
- When: Exhibit runs through July 29; opening reception is July 6 during Old Town Untapped Event, 6-9 p.m.
- Where: Bailey Contemporary Arts, 41 NE First Street, Pompano Beach
- Contact: 954-284-0141; baileyarts.org
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with Spred The Dub keeps, a band that fuses soul, funk and R&B to perform good-time reggae
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Twilight Concert Series at Gulfstream Park
- Starting today, Gulfstream Park features live Thoroughbred horse racing followed by a free concert with a variety of acts performing throughout the summer. This Friday, enjoy Iko Iko.
- For a drink with your music, The Sport of Kings Theatre offers happy hour from 7-8 p.m.
- When: Race starts at 2:15 p.m.; Concert is 7-11 p.m.; Fridays through Aug. 31
- Where: 901 S. Federal Hwy., Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
- Info: gulfstreampark.com/twilightconcertseries
Saturday, July 7
Good vibes all around
Summer Sizzle Salon
- The exhibit features a variety of art styles including photography, mixed media, jewelry, sculpture and paintings.
- When: July 5-20; reception, July 7, 6:30-9 p.m.
- Where: Broward Art Guild, 3280 NE 32nd St., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: browardartguild.org
Air National Guard Band of the South
- Air Force members inspire with music
- When: Noon
- Where: Plantation Historical Museum, 511 North Fig Tree Lane
- Contact: plantation.org/Museum
What’s Your Vibe Art Show
- Local art curated by Art N Soul, live music, food, drinks and interactive fun
- When: 7-10 p.m.
- Where: Village Design Art Gallery, 600 Breakers Ave., Fort Lauderdale Beach
- Contact: tinyurl.com/y93zmkte
Breakers Avenue Block Party
- Drinks, food, live entertainment, art, local vendors
- When: 7-11 p.m.
- Where: 608 Breakers Ave., Fort Lauderdale Beach
- Contact: tinyurl.com/ybjduahf
Sunday, July 8
Beat the Monday blues with laughs and music
U.S. Navy Band in Concert
- The free concert features the Navy’s Cruisers ensemble, which formed in 1999 and plays a variety of genres including jazz, R&B, classic rock and pop.
- When: 2 p.m.
- Where: Bailey Hall, 3501 Davie Road, Davie
- Contact: 954.201.6884
Palm Beach Chamber Music Festival
- The chamber plays classics from Vivaldi, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Menotti, Piazzolla and Schubert.
- When: Sundays, 2 p.m.
- Where: Crest Theatre, 51 N. Swinton Ave., Delray Beach
- Contact: pbcmf.org
Dan and Phil
- YouTube stars Dan Howell and Phil Lester present their Interactive Introverts world tour with a stage show that features anecdotes, sketches and audience interactions.
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: Broward Center, 201 SW Fifth Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Contact: browardcenter.org
Bonus: Miami Spa Month
Each week this month, Lifestyle features a spa with specials for Miami Spa Month
- At the rooftop spa, special services include the Miami Scrub and Rub ($139), and the Oxygen Facial, which is available for $199 instead of $295 and includes an aesthetician skin assessment.
- Offers are available daily, as well as 50 percent off treatment add-ons and enhancements, 20 percent off skincare and body products, discounted valet parking and complimentary mimosas and Champagne.
- Where: Delano South Beach, 1685 Collins Ave., Miami Beach
- Contact: morganshotelgroup.com/delano/delano-south-beach/spa-fitness/agua-spa