The Lifestyle List
South Florida events for the weekend of Jan. 18-20
Throughout the Month
The Art of Banksy
- When: Through Feb. 28
- Where: Magic City Studios, 6301 NE Fourth Ave., Miami
- What: The exhibit features work by the anonymous artist who has fascinated the public and the art world with his distinctive style and political messages.
- Info: banksyexhibit.com
Gratitude and Joy
- When: Through Jan. 26
- Where: Bailey Contemporary Arts, 41 NE First St., Pompano Beach
- What: Photographers such as Jenna Regal, Candy Childrey, John Cote and others display their work in this juried exhibit exploring images that reflect on memories of joy and thankfulness.
- Info: baileyarts.org
What else is happening? Hover over the photos below to see what’s happening in South Florida this weekend.
Note: Photo above and photo on third hover box by Battery Operated Productions
Friday, January 18
Music at Mickel Concert Series
- When: 7:30-9:30 p.m.
- Where: Mickel Park Concert Pavilion, 2675 NW Seventh Ave., Wilton Manors
- What: Jimmy Buffett tribute band Caribbean Chillers (pictured) performs in the first concert of Wilton Manors’ series, taking place every third Friday of the month through April. Food trucks will be onsite.
- Info: wiltonmanors.com/427/Music-at-Mickel
The Rat Pack Together Again
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Miniaci Performing Arts Center, 3100 Ray Ferrero Jr. Blvd., Davie
- What: The performance pays tribute to the music of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.
- Info: nova.edu/miniaci/events.html
“To Life: The Stories & Music of the Golden Age of Broadway”
- When: Jan. 18-Feb. 3
- Where: Willow Theatre at Sugar Sand Park
- What: The concert celebrates Jewish contributors to Broadway such as Stephen Sondheim, Irving Berlin, Barbra Streisand, Rodgers and Hammerstein and others.
- Info: willowtheatre.org
South Florida Fair
- When: Jan. 18-Feb. 3
- Where: 9067 Southern Blvd., West Palm Beach
- What: Features all the sights and sounds of a great country fair with the theme “superheroes.” The fun includes performances, rides, games, petting zoos and much more.
- Info: southfloridafair.com
- When: Jan. 17-Feb. 24
- Where: The Wick Theatre, 7901 North Federal Highway, Boca Raton
- What: The romantic musical story of Broadway star, film actress and comedian Fanny Brice and her tempestuous love-story with gambler Nicky Arnstein.
- Tickets: $75-$85
- Info: TheWick.org
Saturday, January 19
- When: Jan. 19, 8 p.m.
- Where: BB&T Center
- What: The incomparable singer recently delighted fans with an appearance in “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again” as well as, “Dancing Queen,” an album of ABBA covers.
- Info: thebbtcenter.com
- When: Jan. 19-20, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Where: Flamingo Gardens, 3750 S. Flamingo Road, Davie
- What: Attendees are invited to vote for their favorite flamingo yard ornaments decorated by kids, craftsmen and artists. Other activities include live entertainment and the Flamboyance of Flamingos exhibit.
- Info: flamingogardens.org
Sushi Rolling Class
- When: 4-6 p.m.
- Where: Brimstone Doral
- What: Participants can learn this ancient Japanese tradition with a Brimstone twist while enjoying complimentary Sake with the chance to enter a raffle and win some amazing prizes.
- Tickets: $35
- Info: 954.430.2333
MUVE Volunteer Workday
- When: 10 a.m.
- Where: East Greynolds Park, 16700 Biscayne Blvd., North Miami Beach
- What: Work on citizen science activities at the East Greynolds Park restoration site, such as invasive plant documentation and removal, native species planting, marine debris cleanup and biodiversity monitoring.
- Info: frostscience.org/citizenscienceregistration
Sunday, Jan. 20
Ariete Turns Three (pictured on main page and this hover box)
- When: 6 p.m.-midnight
- Where: Ariete, 3540 Main Highway, Coconut Grove
- What: In celebration of the celebrated restaurant’s third anniversary, Chef/Owner Michael Beltran is throwing a fête complete with live music, drink specials, special menus and, in true Miami fashion, Publix cake. Enjoy a three-course family-style designed to be shared and intended for indulgence and featuring fan favorites as well as some special surprises.
- Tickets: $50
- Info: For reservations, call 305.640.5862; arietemiami.com
Rachel Coba Quartet
- When: 7-8:30 p.m.
- Where: Arts Garage, 94 NE Second Ave., Delray Beach
- What: The celebrated guitarist plays combines the blues, soul, country and funk.
- Tickets: $30-$45
- Info: artsgarage.org
- When: 7 p.m.
- Where: Broward Center
- What: The songwriter has crossed the genres of country, Broadway, bluegrass and performs hits Top 40 hits such as “I’ll Come Running,” “I Can Dream of You,” and “Boatman.”
- Tickets: $35-$45
- Info: browardcenter.org