The Lifestyle List
Throughout the Month
Miami Spice and more fun through the month of August
- The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau presents the 17th Miami Spice, showcasing Greater Miami’s diverse culinary scene. Fine dining restaurants will offer three-course prix-fixe Miami Spice menus at reduced prices ($23 per person for lunch and brunch / $39 per person for dinner). Prices include an appetizer, entrée and dessert; tax, tip, libations and service charges are additional.
- This weekend, try Kitchen 305 at the Newport Beachside Hotel & Resort with live music and American-electic fare. The Spice menu includes pear stuffed with cabrales cheese, duck confit enchiladas, oxtail empanadas, seared scallops, butchers steak of Peruvian chicken. For dessert, try tres leches or mango panna cotta.
- When: Through Sept. 30
- Info: iLoveMiamiSpice.com
“White Guy on the Bus”
- The play by Bruce Graham takes on racial prejudice with the story of a white businessman and a black single mother who ride the same bus.
- When: Aug. 11-Sept. 9
- Where: GableStage at The Biltmore, 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables
- Info: gablestage.org
FAU MFA Candidate Exhibition
- View work from the next generation of artists completing master’s degrees at Florida Atlantic University, including Jason LeVan, Michael Dillow, Symantha Jones, Katie Brede, Margaret Crowley, Robert Navarrette, Melanie Urbie, Cangshu Gran and Karen-Janine Cohen.
- When: Through Aug. 31
- Where: Arts Garage, 94 NE Second Ave., Delray Beach
- Info: artsgarage.org
Boca Chamber Festival Days
- The series of fun-filled events is held at different locations in the South Palm Beach County area during the month of August. The Boca Chamber helps to facilitate these events that are created and run by a pairing of non-profit members with for-profit members to raise funds and awareness for the non-profit organizations.
- Events include wine tastings, museum visits, cocktail parties, bowling and more.
- When: Through Aug. 30
- Info: bocaratonchamber.com
Friday, August 31
Celebrate National Eat Outside Day before attending world-class shows.
Amy Schumer and Friends
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Hard Rock Event Center, 1 Seminole Way, Fort Lauderdale
- What: The comedian and movie star, known for her provocative humor, brings her friends for a night of laughs.
- Info: seminolehardrockhollywood.com
National Eat Outside Day at Bokamper’s Sports Bar & Grill
- Where: Locations in Fort Lauderdale, Miramar and Plantation
- What: Half off Appetizers (excludes Bo’s Appetizer Sampler); $3 house wines; $4 house cocktails and mixed drinks, live entertainment and giveaways.
- Info: bokampers.com
Etaru Hallandale Celebration
- Where: 111 South Surf Road
- What: A premium tasting menu featuring ETARU’s signature dishes will be offered as well as a special birthday cocktail and chocolate truffles for guests to take with them as a party favor.
- Entertainment includes Taiko Drummers and music by DJ Soul P. To close out the night, guests will be invited to release biodegradable lanterns over the ocean along with fireworks.
- Tickets: $95
- Info: etarurestaurant.us
Labor Day Kickoff at Casa Faena
- When: 7-11 p.m.
- Where: 3500 Collins Ave, Miami Beach
- What: Enjoy live entertainment, specialty craft cocktails and South American-inspired dishes at the historic hotel’s candlelit restaurant and outdoor terrace. Don’t forget the unlimited Pineapple Margaritas and Faena Paradise cocktail with the purchase of any entree or Miami Spice dinner.
- Info: 305.604.8485, ext. 509; click here to RSVP.
Jay-Z and Beyonce
- Where: Hard Rock Stadium
- What: After dropping a surprise album together in June, renting out the Louvre for a music video and dazzling fans at the most-viewed Coachella performance of all time, one of music’s true power couples isn’t done yet. Expect a performance of a lifetime during their “On the Run II” tour.
- Info: hardrockstadium.com
Festival de Cante Flamenco
- When: Aug. 31-Sept. 3
- Where: Adrienne Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami
- What: Siempre Flamenco celebrates the 13th annual festival, which features world-famous dancers, singers and guitarists celebrating the passionate music of Spain.
- Info: arshtcenter.org
“La Cage Aux Folles”
- When: Aug. 31-Sept. 23
- Where: Lauderhill Performing Arts Center, 3800 NW 11th Place, Lauderhill
- What: The Broadway favorite recounts the story of gay nightclub owner Georges and his partner Albin, who put on an act to please the parents of Georges’ son’s fiance.
- Info: lpacfl.com
“When a Baby Cries”
- When: Through Sept. 2, 2 & 7 p.m.
- Where: Pompano Beach Cultural Center, 50 West Atlantic Blvd., Pompano Beach
- What: Lemon is a woman healing from the scars of a tragic fire intentionally set by her husband 18 years ago, which claimed his life and the life of their infant son. She again begins to feel the sting of loneliness as her best friend, Sweetness, awaits a proposal of marriage from Manny. When Manny arrives, he carries something that destroys Lemon’s world further, but it also could be exactly what she’s been hoping for, the choice is hers.
- Tickets: $28
- Info: ccpompano.org
Friday Night Sound Waves
- The free live music series on Fort Lauderdale Beach continues with The Boss Project, a Bruce Springsteen tribute band.
- Where: The Hub at Las Olas & A1A
- When: 6-9 p.m.
- Info: fridaynightsoundwaves.com
Twilight Concert Series at Gulfstream Park
- Starting today, Gulfstream Park features live Thoroughbred horse racing followed by a free concert with a variety of acts performing throughout the summer. This Friday, enjoy Rolling Stones tribute band Roll the Stones.
- For a drink with your music, The Sport of Kings Theatre offers happy hour from 7-8 p.m.
- When: Race starts at 2:15 p.m.; Concert is 7-11 p.m.; Fridays through Aug. 31
- Where: 901 S. Federal Hwy., Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
- Info: gulfstreampark.com/twilightconcertseries
Saturday, September 1
Satisfy your cravings
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Hard Rock Event Center
- What: The comedian is known to audiences for his multiple appearances on late-night shows and his comedy specials on Comedy Central and Netflix. His “Break the Mold World Tour” takes inspiration from his family, including his son.
- Info: seminolehardrockhollywood.com
- When: 8 p.m.
- Where: Mizner Park Cultural Center, 201 Plaza Real, Boca Raton
- What: The comedian of “America’s Got Talent” fame has performed at Montreal’s Just for Laughs festival and received several comedy honors.
- Info: miznerparkculturalcenter.com
End of Summer Labor Day Soiree
- When: 1-9 p.m.
- Where: La Côte at Fontainebleau Miami Beach
- What: Guests can celebrate by dining, imbibing and enjoying live entertainment featuring a DJ, festive dancers and a saxophone player. Sip on complimentary tastings of Moet & Chandon Champagne while taking in the spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean and Fontainebleau’s iconic pool-scape.
- Info: fontainebleau.com
Crave GFL Restaurant Month
- When: Sept. 1-Sept. 30
- Where: Throughout Greater Fort Lauderdale
- What: Enjoy three-course gourmet dinner menus for either $35 or $45 throughout the month.
- This weekend, try III Forks Prime Steakhouse where entrée selections give guests a choice between the 6-ounce prime cut filet, a double-cut pork chop, and either salmon or blackened snapper. Pair your dinner with half off bottle of wine under $100 from Sunday to Wednesday.
- While you’re there, try limited-time Elyxer cocktails (pictured above) a retro-glam libation served in a copper couple with a convenient side-car.
- Info: sunny.org/dining-and-nightlife/restaurants/crave-gfl
Sunday, September 2
Celebrate the full moon
White Out Party at The Balcony
- When: 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Where: The Balcony, 1309 E. Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- What: The Balcony, a trendy two-story New Orleans-style restaurant on Fort Lauderdale’s stylish Las Olas Boulevard, is introducing its “Revitalize Sundays” hydrate and celebrate rooftop brunch party series with a White Out Party launch with open bar, live DJ and Cirque du Soleil performers.
- Tickets: $99
- Info: thebalconylasolas.com
The Artists’ Vision of Ecuador and Argentina
- When: Through Oct. 15
- Where: Alvin Sherman Library, 3100 Ray Ferrero Blvd., Davie
- What: The exhibit celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with work by Julio Montaner, Luis Willis and others.
- Info: nova.edu/library
Bonus: Labor Day — Monday, September 3
Enjoy your day off with specials and parties.
Check out the following all day specials
- ROK: BRGR—$10 burgers all day (pictured)
- Brimstone Woodfire Grill—Half off bottles of wine
- Beach House Pompano—Bottomless Peroni Buckets for $25 per person
- Tap 42—Bottomless brunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The National Hotel hosts a Labor Day Pool Party.
Etaru Monday Brunch
- When: 12:30-4 p.m. at Hallandale and 11 a.m.-4 p.m. at Las Olas
- Where: Etaru Fort Lauderdale and Hallandale
- What: Featuring bottomless pours of Whispering Angel Rosé and a robust spread of hot and cold dishes.
- Tickets: $55 per person
- Info: etarurestaurant.us
Burlock Coast Brunch
- When: Noon-5 p.m.
- Where: Burlock Coast at The Ritz-Carlton, 1 North Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd.
- What: $25 bottomless mimosas, rum punch, bloody mary’s or the house beer and a full brunch spread.
- Info: burlockcoast.com